Any owners of the Bricklin?

Guest Debby

Kind of a neat-looking car.

I once heard there was a problem of people getting trapped in the car cuz the doors wouldn't open. Can't remember if it was because the battery went dead, or if it was because the system that operated the gullwing doors went haywire. Either way, I'd check into it and make sure it doesn't happen to you on a 98-degree day.

Guest imported_pete324rock

You probably already know this but they were made in my province of New Brunswick in the city of Saint John-didn't make that many and you still see one go by from time to time-I was younger then and mostly remember the scandal the car caused with the government.A guy down the road from me had one for awhile-think he must have sold it.Lots of books in the local library I bet and they made a movie here about it and Malcolm Bricklens life not so long ago.

Did a quick search,this sure brings back memories:

http://www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/~Heritage/bricklin/Hatfield_bio.htm

Almost bought one in the early 90's. Had it at a friend's shop for a week or so trying to fix the doors and wiring. I pretty sure the doors use a hydralic motor from GM convertible tops of the era, ie; Caprice, Caddy Eldo, etc so that wasn't too much of a problem for parts. Factory workmanship was sub-par. Be sure to carry a wooden prop rod cut to length to hold open the doors when they fail, and they will fail. They are very heavy to hold up.That's what ended it for me. 2 powertrains were used, Ford 351,or AMC 360. Both easy to get parts for & service as well as being dependable. The wiring wasnt so good. Just replace it all. Check out the History Channel.ca(Canada)for info on the documentary on Bricklin.

Good Luck!

I ran a 100th aniversary of the American automobile show in Pittsburgh in 1996. I was very keen on getting a Bricklin to come for our main display of one car for each model year, and contacted the Bricklin International Owners Club for help. They were <span style="font-style: italic">extremely</span> helpful and cooperative, eventually bringing 2 or 3 extra cars for the regular display at that (annual) show. A great group! smile.gif

Guest Debby Soucia

Thanks Peter,

I went to the site, found the membership form and printed it. I will send it in tomorrow as my mail man has already been past. Looking threw the papers that we got with the car there was Bricklin papers from 1982 with the former owner joined that club. I am copying that information and sending it in with my papers.

I washed it today and polished it. It needs a few thing before we can really run it for long like a oil change, tires rotated (they have flat spots) and needed a good cleaning on the windows.

Deby