Attach Torque tube to torque ball 52 Special

Guest Cdn_Buick_Nut

Guest Cdn_Buick_Nut

I am assembling my 52 Special. I had the Motor and transmission (Dynaflow) rebuilt and I placed them back in the car, slid torque tube into Torque Ball but the bolt holes don't line up. Does the plate on the torque ball that has the threaded holes turn? Is it possible the transmission shop reassembled it wrong? What can I do now? I really don't want to pull the engine and transmission out again unless i have to. Also the manual mentions a spring and 2 seals between the torque tube and ball, mine seem to be missing.Are these available? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Steve

Guest Straight eight

The seal is available from www.bobsautomobilia.com .

There is a catalogue on his web site. It is very important that you have this seal and the two springs installed as the seal prevents Dyna Flow fluid from leaking down the driveshaft and into the rear end where it ruins the rear end gears, and makes them very noisy.

As far as fitting the drive back together I just can't picture which bolts don't line up. Are they the four bolts on the drive shaft that bolt up to the rear of the Dyna Flow? If so they can be turned. I imagine just put the DF in N or D, and the tail shaft should be free to turn.

Guest Cdn_Buick_Nut

Thanks for your reply. I will order the seals today. As for the bolts you are correct it is the bolts in this case 5 that attach the torque Tube to the Torque ball on the back of the Dynaflow. The torque ball has what looks like a plate that has threaded holes. The holes are what appears to be 180 degrees out. This plate seems to have no movement as the Torque tube is of course fixed and does not move. The connection in the center of the Torque ball that attaches to the spindle in the torque tube moves freely in neutral but this plate seems fixed. Thanks Again Steve

Guest Straight eight

The piece in the center with the threaded holes should have a splined hole in the center, right?

A broom handle should fit in that splined hole. Your transmission shop should have installed that piece so you can move a broomstick up down and around with some difficulty. If not, there are not enuff shims to loosen the torque ball so it can move. If set up too tight, a broken trans tail shaft could result. Too loose, and you have a transmission leaker.

Do you have a shop manual that could show you how this goes?

Are you mechanically incline at all?

Its not the end of the world, yet. Think maybe we can do this yet.

Guest Cdn_Buick_Nut

Exactly the piece with the threaded holes does have the splined hole. I have a shop manual that shoes what you are saying showing a spring scale to measure the moveability. Will this piece be able to turn 180 degrees or just up and down and left and right a little?

I like to think I am somewhat mechanically inclined I seem to get dirty and wrap my knuckles alot.

Thanks

Steve

Guest Straight eight

I would think that by playing with the broom handle will allow it to be rotated. (wiggle it around a little) Maybe a huge pair of water pump pliars would allow you to be able to twist it. As a last resort, I'd suggest you loosen SLIGHTLY the bolts around the retainer just enough for you to rotate enough to align the holes. Just remember to retorque them the same as the others, just a little at a time on each one, applying even torque to each one.

If you go too loose, then realignment of the ball assembly would be necessary, and you dont wanna get envolved with that.

Guest Cdn_Buick_Nut

Thanks Straight Eight!! A local antique car parts dealer had a set of seals. I played with the broom handle and was able to rotate the plate enough to line up the holes. We figured out that since the Transmission had been sitting for about a year since being rebuilt that it might of dried a liitle bit and that was why it was so difficult to turn. Once i moved the handle up and town a little it seemed to release and I was able to rotate. Thanks Again Steve