edsel transmission troubles

Joe Werner

I need to get my 58 edsel out the shed to get it cleaned up and takes some pics of it to sell. The teletouch dosen't work in it. theres a hole above above the transmission where where someone was going to put a floor shifter in it. does any have a idea that i could use as a shifter for a quick fix for i could get out of the shed?

thanks joe

I think you really need to inquire of Edsel experts for this, but I've heard that the Edsel Teletouch (made by Auto-Lite?) is very similar, perhaps identical, to the unit used by Packard in 1956 and I have a bit of experienc with that unit. Have you checked for a blown fuse? Otherwise, solving your problem can be a real PITA. There are several experts in the Packard world who repair these units but again, that would depend on how similar they are.

You can put the car up on jackstands and remove the unit from the transmission which should expose the stub end of the selector shaft. Then you could rotate it with the engine running with visegrips or similar and find the reverse position. Then have someone sit in the car with the brakes applied while you take the car down off the jackstands and back it out. BUT WORKING UNDER A CAR WHILE IT'S IN GEAR IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS PROSPECT!!! It would be much safer to just drag the car, even if stuck in park, from the shed and then jack it up and remove the shifter mechanism for repair.