Hood Liner '89 TC

Joe47

From Sept.'s newsletter a member gave the Chrysler part number for the hood liner or silencer, as he called it as 4463083. I looked for it at Chrysler on Long Island, they claim not available , but they did a search and came up with the following: 1- BILL DUKE CHRYSLER Phoenix, Az Phone 602 336 1556, 2-available. $189.00.

2- JOHN HINE DODGE San Diego Ca phone 619 682 3704 1-available [ I called and left a message no return call ].

3- MOOTHART CHRYSLER Cerritos Ca phone 562 809 6838

I ordered the one that they show on the parts locator.

Bill Duke, I know has them but with the shipping to NY, I got a better deal from Moothart. I know these liners are also available from Larry. Good luck to anyone that needs one.

I don't like the "egg crate" look of my '89 hood insulation. It's just a little too "Shade Tree". I have been told the liner on the '90 '91 do not easily interchange. If I needed a liner on my '89 I would try to install the late one. (it looks real) Lou

Guest mtworkshop

Hey Car Chick,

Do you have an old hood liner that can be used as a template? I just bought a 4' X 6" sheet of hood liner material at NAPA. I'm going to try to make a decent liner for my 89 Yellow SOHC.

I have one from the '90. It's in fair shape; you can still see the pentrident insignia, but there are also a few places where the critters got into it. It's still attached to the hood. I can take some pics tomorrow.

The hood liner is missing from Guido though, so I can't compare them and show differences.

• 1 month later...
Guest mtworkshop

Joe47 sent me a pattern for the hood liner. I bought liner material from NAPA and will install the liner ASAP. I'll be sending Joe a check for postage and he instructed me to send the pattern to someone else who needs a hood liner. Takers? Thanks for the help, Joe.

• 2 months later...

Hi gang, Happy New Year. As for hood liners, since I had a new hood and a new hood liner for a '90 - '91 TC sitting around. I had the hood painted yellow and installed it on my '89 16 valve car. It fits perfectly EXCEPT the hood latch didn't line up. We ended up doing a little customizing on the latch plate that bolts to the hood and it has now been on that car for several years. One small "potential" problem though, it has NO safety catch hook so if the main latch would unlatch, WELL you know what could happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys....Where are we on the pattern? Were copies made or is an original making the rounds? Mtworkshop, how did your liner turn out. Does anyone have pics of their fabricated hood liner? I need to put a hood liner on the 89 that just got delivered on Monday. I hate to try to get the one off my 90, I'm afraid all I'll have is pieces...

Guest mtworkshop

The hood liner for the 90 is slightly diffrent from the 89 because the hoods ARE diffrent. I had my hood liner installed and looking really good for about a week or two than Bambi made my deductable get deducted from the money the ins. co. gave me. So now I'm back to square 1 on hood liners for that car. Un-Fortuantely, someone put a 90 hood liner into my "new" 89. You can see all the holes where the plastic plugs once went in the other hood.

It appears that my "new" car had similar damage to my "old" Bambi modified car (or worse) at some previous incarnation. I just pulled the front bumper assimbly to allign it with the tracks on each side that guide the superstructure. One side was not hooked in correctly. Now my parking lights don't work. I think there is a ground in the system (voltage only 6.26 when checked with a meeter). The Teves sistem is supposed to be new, but the pump motor is very loud and runs too long and too often. Already replaced the accumulator and blead the brakes.

Damn but these cars are fun!

Hi,

New plugs cad be purchassed and glued in, or some other material can be used to plug the holes; ~ But ~ how does the late model pad fit the early hood in other respects.?

Thanks, Lou

• 6 years later...

Since the '89 hood liners had a great tendency to get destroyed by the engine heat, I would try and locate the hood liner from a '90 or '91 and use that as it will last a long time and not deteriorate. I have seen very few '89 with a complete or nice looking hood liner.

It looks like I found one from a 90 that im going to install onto my 89. Anything I need or should know about? Any way to install it? Thank you!

Use common sense, patience and a second pair of hands. Hold it up for as test fit first so you know where it's going to go and remember to run the wire for the under hood light through the hole before you fasten it in place.

Oh, I didn't know I would have to drill holes for it.
How else would you fasten it to the underside of the hood? As I recall, it is held in place by a number of plastic, push-in retainers. I put a 1990 hood pad on my TC and am pretty sure that is how it is fastened. I don't have that car any more or I would look. Garnet & Gold would be able to look at his and let you know.

There are a total of 25 "push pins" used to attach the hood liner and no adhesive used on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]274637[/ATTACH]

Ah, I see. And being that mine is an 89 I won’t have the holes for the pins. It might be easier to just use an adhesive then. I'm getting a Hood Liner that is in pretty good shape from a 1990 for only $50. So I would like to make it work if I could.

Ah, I see. And being that mine is an 89 I won’t have the holes for the pins. It might be easier to just use an adhesive then. I'm getting a Hood Liner that is in pretty good shape from a 1990 for only $50. So I would like to make it work if I could.

A hood liner from a 90 might be in good shape, but it's still 24 going on 25 years old and that is not new. A good high temp spray on contact adhesive will work well with a new liner, and it will work just like spray adhesive on an old padded headliner that keeps falling down. The adhesive will hold to the metal and the material, question is will the material hold together. If you want your job to be worth the effort I suggest spray adhesive to put the liner in place and the trim locks to keep it in place. If your hood doesn't have holes and you're worried about drilling to deep, ACE is the place to buy some drill bit stops and those things will keep you from drilling to deep. The plastic push locks are available at most auto parts stores.

A hood liner from a 90 might be in good shape, but it's still 24 going on 25 years old and that is not new. A good high temp spray on contact adhesive will work well with a new liner, and it will work just like spray adhesive on an old padded headliner that keeps falling down. The adhesive will hold to the metal and the material, question is will the material hold together. If you want your job to be worth the effort I suggest spray adhesive to put the liner in place and the trim locks to keep it in place. If your hood doesn't have holes and you're worried about drilling to deep, ACE is the place to buy some drill bit stops and those things will keep you from drilling to deep. The plastic push locks are available at most auto parts stores.

Great! Thank you very much for the info! I will look close at the hood liner and see if it is worth it. Does the 90 hood liners have a emblem or anything on them that shows TC instead of just a basic hood liner? because then I might as well by something better.

The hood liner was gone when I bought my 89. I ordered hood liner material from JCW., I believe it was 6'x4'. I also made the silencer pads from that piece. I glued the pads to the hood, and used plastic push locks and some glue on the hood liner. I didn't drill any holes, I made clips that slid into the slots in the hood, witch made the slot small enough, that it would hold a plastic push lock pushed into it. I used 15 push locks. I ordered 5/8 thickness liner, that was the main problem I had, it should have been about 3/8, that's about what it was after I split it in half. For the clips, I cut a piece of tin aprox. 1 1/4x2 1/4 folded it in half, flatten it , make tighter at the fold. Try it in one of the slots, then push it in, and a little tap to tighten it. I have some pictures I'll send, if I can ever figure out how to.