13 Buick, Burger, Fries & Ice Cream

Mark Shaw

Last week-end, my wife and I spent a good part of the week-end doing some house painting that had been put off for most of the summer. It wasn’t because we have been lazy; it was put off because we had so many other fun things to do earlier this summer. We were very fortunate to be involved in all the activities before, during, and after the BCA National Meet. So we just didn’t have time to do such mundane things as painting our house.

Looking back on this summer, we had a great time with the caravans, the BCA National Meet, the PWD AfterTour, the Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac Picnic, and the All Buick Show in Brooks Oregon. Just when we thought all the car events were over for the summer, the phone rang with a message that one of the local hot rod car club members (& BCA member) thought is was a nice evening for a run to Dairy Queen for ice cream & invited us to their cruise-in.

Since we had just finished painting for the day & painting had made me hungry for more than ice cream, we cleaned up, showered, and changed clothes in time to crank up our 13 Buick to go out for dinner at Dairy Queen. Of course our car was the oldest one in the parking lot, so we drew quite a crowd. Some guy said it looked like there was a model T in the lot, and much to my surprise, my wife told the guy that model T Fords were never that big. He looked a little closer and realized it was a Buick.

Everyone was surprised to see such an old car in the group and when I finished my burger, I went over to answer questions about the car. One guy asked why I brought such an old car to what was obviously a hot rod cruise-in (I think the guy was just envious of the crowd around my old Buick). I told him “my 24 Buick PU needed some carburetor attention, so I brought my back up car. Besides, I thought all the hot rod guys might like to see what an original “old car” looked like.” He couldn’t believe it was truly an original car until I opened the hood, turned on the gas, and crank started the car to go home. Then he asked me if he and his wife could have a ride, so we all went for a ride around a few blocks before leaving.

I think I may have converted another hot-rodder last night…, and that was even more satisfying than the Burger Fries & Ice Cream!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe Kieliszek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then you get the question "How fast does it go?" followed

by "Isn't that a kit car?"...

Joe </div></div>

The best one would be whether or not Mark is the original owner wink.gifgrin.gif We had a fellow in the local club here who passed away a couple years back with a Model T and he got that question.

So how about some photos? Guess I'll have to put one in....

post-33068-143137947236_thumb.jpg