Peerless 1927 6-72

PeerlessBelgium

Many thanks for your welcome.

I'am also intersted in adresses for spares parts and for documentation.

For people realy interested (Peerless Owners or Members of the Peerless Club), I have free copy of :

- Original Peerless Instruction Book for the Guidance of Operators of Peerless Model 72 Six-Cylinder Motor Cars (68 pages),

- Copy Peerless Motor Cars Sales Manual for Six-80 and 6-72 (90 pages),

- Original Ad Folder "The powerful Peerless Six-72" with pictures of all the models (equivalent to 8 pages),

- Original Ad Folder "The Peerless 6-72 Five passenger Sedan" with all the specifications (equivalent to 4 pages),

- Copy of a price list September 1, 1926 with Prices f.o.b. factory and end prices for 6-80, 6-72, 69-A, 6-90 (1 page)

- Original Ad for dealer in Motor Age June 3, 1926 "Three separate models ... Six-80, Six-72, Eight-69 with prices f.o.b. factory (2 pages),

- Original Ad for dealer in Motor Age July 1, 1926 with 2 pages on the Remarkable Six-80, Powerfull Six-72, Famous Eight-69 (2 pages),

- Copy of View of the Peerless Eagle on an Ad in The New York Times January 9 1927,

- Original Ad for dealer in Motor Age March 17, 1927 with "27 features that make Peerless Six-60, Six-72, Six-80 and Six-90 outstanding in value and profit" with models prices f.o.b. factory (2 pages),

I would say many thanks to Jeff Brown for his help and documentation.

The forgotten Peerless Motor Car Make needs people like him to contribute to remember that the 3'P does not exist without Peerless.

I will contribute to this aim in my club "RVCCB : Royal Veteran Car Club Belgium" joining with my Peerless members with Packard and Pierce Arrow.

Salutations from Belgium.

• 5 months later...

Philippe,

I looked on the website of your car club, and REALLY enjoyed the photos from a winter ( Hivernales ) rally your club had on February 3rd, 2008! The picture of the Bugatti going down the road in the snow, as well as the one of all the open cars parked in the woods ( an '06 Ford, a '26 Bugatti, and a '24 Renault) is GREAT! It looks like a PRE-1930, OPEN CAR ONLY, WINTER rally. I don't think anyone in the U.S. has ever held a tour like that. ---Jeff

{ If anyone else is reading this, the club is the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium at www.rvccb.be }

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jeff,

There is also the Veteran Car Club Grand Ducal (Grand Duché de Luxembourg - small country near Belgium).

There is a list of all member's cars with pictures for each (Bugatti, Lagonda, Rolls Royce, ... and our Peerless)

The address is http://www.vccgd.lu.

I still have to put the new pictures of the Peerless after complete restoration (in Dark Wine/Dark Grey).

Philippe

Joyeux anniversaire Philippe!

There was a news bulletin that you had a birthday today.

I had already looked at the Veteran Car Club Grand Ducal website once and seen the three photos of your Peerless. I've never been to Europe, but I've always wanted to go on a journey there to see the smaller countries, and skip the big ones: instead of going to England, France, Germany and Russia.....Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Andorra, and Belgium....or San Marino, Monaco, Portugal and Ireland.

--------Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Philippe Mordant's 1927 Peerless 6-72

This 1927 Peerless is owned by Peerless Motor Car Club Member Philippe Mordant, of Belgium. It has just come out of the restoration shop and is a Model 6-72. Brakes are four-wheel Lockheed hydraulic. The engines in 6-72's have an aluminum crankcase, an aluminum transmission housing, and a displacement of 288.6 cubic inches. Power output is 70 horsepower @ 2,500 r.p.m. - as much as the Peerless V-8's for that year.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Awesome. For the uninitiated, THIS is a PEERLESS!

One of the finest motorcars built from 1901 through 1932 in Cleveland Ohio.

• 3 months later...

Hello. I am looking for any information on the 1926 Peerless 6-80. I have just aquired this car from my father after it has sat in his garage for 48 years up on blocks. The whole car seems to be all there but needs to be completly restored. I am looking for any info to give me the starting point. I need to aquire a maintenace manual if possible and any info to locate parts that need to be re-made like door handels etc. If you have any information please let me know. I can be reached at wegetnoiced@yahoo.com my name is Greg

Dear 1926 Peerless,

Thanks for writing about the Peerless that you and your father have had so long. I don't have any repair manuals myself, but I have seen quite a few things like that for sale on sites like AutoLit.com. Last time I looked, I think one had a choice between several repair and owners manuals...plus sales brouchures for your model.

The good thing about your model is that it is one of the most numerous of all the surviving years & models. The other side of the coin is good, too! Peerlesses as a brand are incredibly rare *, and you'll really have something when you're done with restoration. Just go to 10 car museums and 10 car shows this summer and tell me how many Peerless cars and trucks you see!!!

I'm interested in getting my 1st Peerless in the next year or two, and think that 1926 is a good year for the car; with the unique radiator plus the marque's history.

What part of the country do you live in?

----Jeff

* About 107,000 Peerless vehicles were built, with less than 1% remaining. Educated guesses of surviving cars range from as low as 35 to as high as 600. Interestingly enough...a lot of the undiscovered ones may be in Europe.

Hello Jeff and thanks for responding to my post. My goal is to start working on the project the first of 2009 as I have to make room for the project. We are a little starved for room at my current home where we reside in Tulsa Oklahoma. The car is currently in Southern California where it has been in my fathers garage. I was hopping that he was going to pass it on to me so I can get this back out where the public can enjoy the history of Peerless. Like you said you just do not see these in car shows and I have been to a number of them. I love restoring old stuff. My last restoration project was a 1966 Triumph Spitfire MKII which turned out great. I gave that to my father when he retired for his retirement present. I also have a 1948 totally restored Cessna 170 airplane that I use to fly cancer patients with. People just love the old stuff. I am really looking forward to the Peerless project and if you see any info out there I would appreciate it if you would let me know. Thanks Jeff. By the way my name is Greg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello 1926 Peerless,

Sorry for this late answer but I was not on the forum from 2 months.

I have a beautifull Peerless SIX-80 Instruction and Description Manual of 64 pages for you. I will make a free copy for you and Jeff. Give me some days to do it and send it to you.

You will find 30 pictures of internal parts of the car. 6 pictures of the engine with a beautifull Side sectional view of Engine and a front outline view of Engine, Timing Chain and Sprockets.

Please, send me or to Jeff your post adress and I will send it to you.

I have also a spare parts catalog of 1932 and a interchangable data catalog (free).

Philippe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

GREAT PHOTOS & GREAT SCENERY!

They're BAAAACCK! For anyone who didn't look at the pictures last year about this time, there are 35 great shots of the annual tour in the Belgian countryside that Peerless Club member Philippe Mordant's local club participates in every winter. The tour is in February, for pre-1931 open cars, and nearly everybody runs it <span style="text-decoration: underline">with the tops down</span>. As Wayne Burgess and I said a year ago, nobody does tours like this in the US. This year's tour just had rain the whole time. Last year it snowed a lot, and there was a really memorable photograph of someone going around a curve in a type 35 Bugatti with snow everywhere. There's a button you can click { "vers edition precedente" } at the end of the 2009 event pictures that lets you view the 2008 event [56 photos].

Look at the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium's site: www.rvccb.be .This winter tour is in the lowlands or fens ( fagnes ) in winter ( hivernales ): so is listed under "Fagnes Hivernales" on the RVCCB opening page. If one goes to "Nouvelles" on the left hand side of the page...you can look at two other tours with great photos: "Hain" and "Ourthe & Meuse". On the latter tour, there is even a picture of Philippe and Claudine's 1927 Peerless.

What's great about these photos is that looking at them makes you feel like you are on a grand European tour!

----Jeff

P.S.: Joyeux anniversaire, Philippe!!

+++++ UPDATE +++++ They have labelled most of the tour photos now. In addition to a lot of foreign cars -- Buick, Ford, Oldsmobile, and Packard are seen, too.

• 1 year later...

If anyone's interested, I put up a post on the "Photo and Video Forums" ("Pre-WWII" sub-forum) of the winter antique car tour held in Belgium two months ago by the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium. Philippe Mordant is a member of both the PMCC and the RVCCB. There are some GREAT pictures of (mostly) pre-1931 cars driving through the Belgian countryside amidst heavy February snow.

The Photo and Video Forum is right between the "Buy/Sell" Forum and the "Our Cars and Restoration Projects" Forum near the top of the AACA Forums page.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I looked at a post of "gilletman", "circuit des ardennes" thread, on the "General Discussion" Forum this week (7/12/14) and saw photos of a great tour held every 3 years in Belgium called the Circuit des Ardennes.....commemorating an early motor sports rally from 1903. One of the photos shows Philippe Mordant driving his 1926 Peerless Eight-69 Speedster in this year's running --- his 3rd. Another member of the family drove a 1927 Peerless Six-72 five-passenger sedan in The Circuit as well.

The picture of the Peerless Eight-69 is about 7 pages before the end of the 40 or 50 pages written about the rally. Closeup of a big green car, with the number "5". A lot of motor cycles, 1920s Packards, 1920s LaSalle, an early Rolls-Royce driven in the rain with the top down. Minerva, Hotchkiss, Stanley, Bugattis, Ford Model "Ts", and a 1909 Cadillac. I believe there was even a Jaguar SS-100 there. Lots to see!

One of the De Dion Boutons on the tour, a 1903, ran in the original event AND this one 111 years later!

• 7 months later...
GREAT PHOTOS & GREAT SCENERY!

They're BAAAACCK! For anyone who didn't look at the pictures last year about this time, there are 35 great shots of the annual tour in the Belgian countryside that Peerless Club member Philippe Mordant's local club participates in every winter. The tour is in February, for pre-1931 open cars, and nearly everybody runs it with the tops down. As Wayne Burgess and I said a year ago, nobody does tours like this in the US. This year's tour just had rain the whole time. Last year it snowed a lot, and there was a really memorable photograph of someone going around a curve in a type 35 Bugatti with snow everywhere. There's a button you can click { "vers edition precedente" } at the end of the 2009 event pictures that lets you view the 2008 event [56 photos].

Look at the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium's site: www.rvccb.be .This winter tour is in the lowlands or fens ( fagnes ) in winter ( hivernales ): so is listed under "Fagnes Hivernales" on the RVCCB opening page. If one goes to "Nouvelles" on the left hand side of the page...you can look at two other tours with great photos: "Hain" and "Ourthe & Meuse".

----the two paragraphs above are about the 2009 event----

The Fagnes Hivernales tour photos are up now for the 2015 event: 32 pictures of Ford Model Ts, Ford Model As, a '30 Marquette, an '07 Lorraine-Dietrich,post-49853-143142976607_thumb.jpga Hotchkiss, a '27 Packard and other makes driving around on this tour in wintertime Belgium. One tip to using this Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium site is to click on the language button ("FR/NL") on the first page view. Choose French unless you are for some reason fluent in Dutch.

I think the upper photo is of a Marquette from about 1930...anyone else have a guess? The car in the lower photo is a Lorraine-Dietrich.

Photos by Jacques Breuer and Jacques Judicqpost-49853-143142976597_thumb.jpg February 7th and 8th.

----the two paragraphs above are about the 2009 event----

The Fagnes Hivernales tour photos are up now for the 2015 event: 32 pictures of Ford Model Ts, Ford Model As, a '30 Marquette, an '07 Lorraine-Dietrich,[ATTACH=CONFIG]295534[/ATTACH]a Hotchkiss, a '27 Packard and other makes driving around on this tour in wintertime Belgium. One tip to using this Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium site is to click on the language button ("FR/NL") on the first page view. Choose French unless you are for some reason fluent in Dutch.

I think the upper photo is of a Marquette from about 1930...anyone else have a guess? The car in the lower photo is a Lorraine-Dietrich.

Photos by Jacques Breuer and Jacques Judicq[ATTACH=CONFIG]295533[/ATTACH] February 7th and 8th.

It would not be fun to do this here today. The wind chill is 20 to 30 below zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2008 at 4:08 PM, jeff_a said:

Philippe,

I looked on the website of your car club, and REALLY enjoyed the photos from a winter ( Hivernales ) rally your club had on February 3rd, 2008! The picture of the Bugatti going down the road in the snow, as well as the one of all the open cars parked in the woods ( an '06 Ford, a '26 Bugatti, and a '24 Renault) is GREAT! It looks like a PRE-1930, OPEN CAR ONLY, WINTER rally. I don't think anyone in the U.S. has ever held a tour like that. ---Jeff

{ If anyone else is reading this, the club is the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium at www.rvccb.be }

The winter antique car tour in The Ardennes was held again last weekend. Some of the prominent cars in the photos of the 57th running of this are a 1923 Oldsmobile, a 1922 Bugatti, a 1928 Ford Model "A", and a 1907 Lorraine-Dietrich.If you go to the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium's site highlighted above (www.rvccb.be), there are photo sets of the last 6 tours the club had on the home page, the first one is this event.  The '23 Olds is shown below:

Fagnes-2017-%C2%A9J.Breuer_037-copie-150x150.jpg

• 1 year later...

The Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium had their 58th Annual winter tour in Belgium recently. Last Saturday! The cars are mostly open, tops-down, and pre-war. The www.rvccb.be site has photos(go to the Fagnes Hivernales event). Some marques present were Amilcar, Bentley, Bugatti, Calcott, Citroen, Fiat, FN, Ford, Hotchkiss, Lorraine-Dietrich, Minerva, Oldsmobile, Salmson, Sunbeam, Talbot, and Vinot Deguingand. 

Photo by RVCCB, Paul Lorsignnol and Jacques Breuer

43-HE-1927.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here are a couple of pictures from the 59th Annual Fagnes Hivernales(Winter Tour of the Fens) held every February in the Ardennes in Belgium:

Jacques Breuer, photographer

Fagnes-2019-Tab_031.jpg...no idea on the make

Fagnes-2019-Tab_081.jpg...nice day to take the wife out for a drive. The tour is hosted by the Royal Veteran Car Club of Belgium for pre-1931 cars. It often has a lot of driving through snow. I'll try to find a photo from the epic 2008 event.

Your basic 1906 Ford at a refreshment stop.