HOT-TEMPERATURE READING

reattaone

HELLO,

IN THE MORNING WHEN I FIRST START MY CAR THE TEMP WILL BE AROUND 110 DEGREES. BY THE TIME I GET TO THE END OF MY ROAD ABOUT 1/8 MILE IT IS READING 'HOT'. I CHANGED THE TEMPERATURE SENSOR LAST NIGHT BUT THAT DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING. WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR NEXT?

Guest F14CRAZY

It sounds like your thermostat is stuck closed. I'd drain the coolant, flush, and replace the thermostat. I prefer using a cooler 180 degree stat, but if you drive in the winter you may want to stick with the regular 195

I don’t know where you live but is the ambient temp really 110 degrees in the morning? If so how hot is it around late afternoon… You may need to move to a more moderate climate… eek.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I would start by checking the actual temperature of the coolant at start up, and just how quickly it heats up. KennyV.

180F Stant Superstat is good for pleanty of heat quickly even at 0F. It does not limit how fast the engine warms up, just where it stops.

Keep in mind that even when open the thermostat relies on air flow to keep cool and unless the a/c is on, the fans are not programmed to turn on even LO until over 200F so excusions when stopped are common.

If the temp is under 100F when you start the car, it should read COLD. If higher you may have a ground issue but I would make sure it is not a stuck thermostat first. Even so an over 100F rise in 1/8 mile seems unlikely.

ps unless you have a 91, the thermostat is sealed by an o-ring, the bolt just holds it in place and does not need to be very tight. Getting eerything really clean and smooth is the key to sealing.

The first thing you verify is the actual coolant temp.

Many shops have thermometers that you aim at the radiator or thermostat housing and it gives you a direct reading.

I suspect you have a bad ECM or BCM that is sending the wrong info to the display.

Hello,

I changed the thermostat and flushed the system. It still reads hot 99% of the time. Also it tells me my windshield washer fluid , fuel , oil , etc., etc are all low and need to be checked. When in fact none of them are low. Do you think it is the cars computer that is bad or would it just be the monitor? thanks for all the previous fast responses to my questions!

Guest mongeonman

The way i see it in the shop manual some of the parts you have troubles with have the same ground wich is S221,maybe the ground is corroded or something like that.A bad ground can cause a false reading specially if the signal comes from a variable resistor.

I think you have either an '88 or '89. What you are doing is going thru a system check on your touch screen thru the status hard button. When you get to that page it tells you what the warning signs look like. It does not mean you have a problem. If your touch screen has a self induced warning pop up on its own I would be concerned. To find out if you have a system problem, turn your key to the on position. Turn off both the radio and heating/cooling system. Then press and hold the off and warm buttons until the touch screen goes into dignostics. It will give you active and history codes. Report back with what you have.

Guest mongeonman

I suggest you buy a service manual because you have to many codes.B447 and B448 are low freon.The level botton is used for changing pages on diagnostic,override is to manualy activate some components to see if they work propely.Like i mentionned before a service manual is the best way to spend your money on your reatta,it will save you a bundle.

What I would do is go back into the code area. Wait for BCM to pop up and hit NO until you get to clear codes hit YES. Then exit program. Go back in and then clear codes for ECM. The reset will also clear the current code for the low freon. You might get lucky and the A/C will work again. Otherwise you will need to get more freon if the code reappears.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I would suggest "factoryautomanuals.com" or you can always use Helm. Some Buick dealers use them anyways....

It was darn hard to find one for a 90 so I finally opted for Helm. (was $105 but quality is good)

Cheers, Kit / 90 Coupe / 86 Fiero GT