Who's Vintage Speedometer

DualQwad

Greetings!

I have returned to the experts once again for enlightenment. This time with an unidentified vintage speedometer. It has a unique spinning wheel type mechanism the likes of which I have never seen before; the numbers are on a disc that rotates around.

Anyone know what year/make/model cars, or trucks used this?

Thanx!

post-32234-143137945914_thumb.jpg

post-32234-143137945916_thumb.jpg

post-32234-143137945918_thumb.jpg

That is typical 1920's American ribbon type, which started earlier and was probably last used in the 30's sometime. Early J model Duesenberg may have had ribbon speedo by similar maker, but with a much higher maximum speed figure. However the only photo in Fred Roe's book shows that of a very late car with more coventional needle type indicator.

To determine the actual car yours came from, the maximum reading is a clue, as is the overall diameter. Taking a guess at the size, Cadillac and LaSalle of around 1928 may have had such an instrument. By 1929 or 1930 the maximum may have been higher. The stencilled numbers on the back may indicate the age, and if so you can guess it would have been a car with reasonable performance. Speculating further, if the speedo is not second time round, the car would be a good one to find today.

Ivan Saxton

That is identical to the speedometer in my 26 Chevy. Even the speedometer cable and housing is the same. As I understand it the same speedometer was used in Chevys from late 1925 through 1927.

Would you be interested inm parting company with it?

Thank you both for your replies.

As for wanting to part with it, I will have to check on that. This is not really mine to sell, at least not quite yet. It was brought over here by the person that currently owns it in hopes of identifying it. He is a Model T Ford fan so it is entirely possible that he would be willing to sell off a Chevy part, so I will certainly ask him the next time I speak with him.

The day he brought this one over, He had different one with him too that he was curious about. I was hesitant to post the poor quality photos of that one but since you folks are so good at this ID thing I will start a second topic to post them. I'll call it "Vintage Speedo #2".

This is a speedometer manufactured by AC and was commonly used on a number of GM products including Chevy. I would date it in the mid-later 20's. Actually, for info the speedometer heads are not nearly as valuable as the more vulnerable drive mechanism. Those parts were mounted outside on the front wheel and were subject to wear and damage from road hazard and the elements.

• 1 month later...
Guest GP Gleason

The part number is for an AC speedometer manufactured for a 1931 Chrysler 6. AC used the last 4 digits of the part number on their early speedos. That one appears to be 5027248. Hope this helps!

GP

Guest GP Gleason

I guess I should have looked closer at the number. Looks like (84)7240 which is made by AC for 1927 Chevy cars and 1928 Chevy trucks. I hope I have redeemed myself!

GP

• 4 years later...
Guest 25chevyroadster

ki I have a 1925 chevy and it looks alot like mine do you want to sell it thanks Dwight