Automobiles D.F.P.

West Peterson

I hope the spelling is right, which is probably why they were mostly known by the initials. Doriet Flandrin et Parant are notable as the French car for which W O Bentley and his brother were agents in London prior th the first world war. Bentley contrived some performance modifications and achieved remarkable racing success which brought enhanced popularity and sales. The alteration which is most notable was pistons which he made of aluminium with a small percentage of copper. These must have rattled a bit because of the extra clearance needed cold so they would not sieze at working temperature. Of course, nothing was known about cam grinding pistons then.

The increased performance of the DFP was so significant that Bentley campaigned to have aluminiun pistons adopted for the British aero engines; and apparently found himself talking first to deaf ears, and then spouting strategic technical secret. Next thing he found himself in uniform with officer rank, designing a much improved rotary engine for the British fighter aircraft, such as Sopwith. A second, larger and more powerful rotary, the BR2, really showed in the extreme the handling idiosynchracy caused by the gyroscopic effect ot most of the engine mass revolving at high speed. Nevertheless, Bentley's light aluminium pistons from his little DFP hoyrods did make important contribution to the allied war effort.

DFP continued the make cars after the war, but they no longer had Bentley's innovative involvement. The appearance of the poster has some similarity to Bentley, though. I remember one of the smaller DFP's, a very original touring, which belonged to a VSCC member who rented an apartment in the neibourhood where I lived about ten minutes walk from Melbourne University in the early '60's. I expect it is still around. I was rebuilding my first car, a 1927 V8 Cadillac, so a little 4 cyl sidevalve did not impress me too much then.

Ivan Saxton