1923 Delco Distributor Conversion?

Guest Paterson Chris

Guest Paterson Chris

Hello All --

My car is equipped with a '23 Coninental 8R engine utilizing a Delco ignition system. Spark advance/ retard adjustments are done manually from the steering wheel as is typical for the era.

My problem is this:

The little die-cast gears at the bottom of the steering column controlling the linkage are severely worn (one has a crack too), the terrain where I live (mountains) is all hills (thus, I'm using the levers all the time), and finally, I just don't feel that I'm good at correctly using the spark advance/ retard lever to begin with anyway. As I want the engine to last as long as possible, is there some sort of automatic spark advance/ retard conversion that I can do to the distributor? Does anyone have an interchange manual showing slightly later type distributors that can be retrofitted to my car ('22/'23 Paterson w/ the above engine?). Is there some sort of electronic conversion as well? I'm all for keeping it original, but I need it be just a little more driveable as well.

Thanks.

• 7 years later...
Hello All --

My car is equipped with a '23 Coninental 8R engine utilizing a Delco ignition system. Spark advance/ retard adjustments are done manually from the steering wheel as is typical for the era.

My problem is this:

The little die-cast gears at the bottom of the steering column controlling the linkage are severely worn (one has a crack too), the terrain where I live (mountains) is all hills (thus, I'm using the levers all the time), and finally, I just don't feel that I'm good at correctly using the spark advance/ retard lever to begin with anyway. As I want the engine to last as long as possible, is there some sort of automatic spark advance/ retard conversion that I can do to the distributor? Does anyone have an interchange manual showing slightly later type distributors that can be retrofitted to my car ('22/'23 Paterson w/ the above engine?). Is there some sort of electronic conversion as well? I'm all for keeping it original, but I need it be just a little more driveable as well.

Thanks.

I share your pain.....my pain is a '29 LaSalle ....what did you ever do about it?

JD