1959 Chrysler New Yorker Convertible

PLEASE HELP....!!!

Hi, I am a long time reader but first time post'er...!!

I am lucky enough to have come in to possession of a very rare Chrysler. My father who loves his Chryslers purchased, about 25years ago, a '59 New Yorker Convertible. It was imported to Australia and in a front end collision all that time ago and my dear old dad bought it for $250. It is in need of a full restoration. It is very hard to get info on this car. Can anyone help me..? How will I go sourcing parts. I have about 85% but will need some bits and pieces...!! Is this car worth restoring..? PLEASE HELP it is hard to get help in Australia.

It's hard to get help anywhere. Yes, a 59 New Yorker convertible is worth restoring. It was one of the best cars on the road at that time and the latest luxury cars don't offer a whole lot more than it had, 50 years ago. 360HP 413 V8, Torqueflite automatic, power steering, power brakes, torsion bar suspension, the list goes on and on. In performance you can expect 0 to 60 times under 8 seconds, top speed of 125 MPH.

About the only things that modern cars have that it doesn't are disc brakes radial tires and a CD player. And cup holders. 1959 cars are very backward in cupholder technology.

If you have plenty of dough I bet there are restoration shops in Australia who would be happy to help you.

As to whether it is worth restoring or not it's up to you. I can tell you this. If you plan on taking it to a restoration shop and having a complete restoration done it will probably cost more than the car will be worth when it is done. Most restorations do.

But when you get behind the wheel it will be worth it. You will feel like you just won a $50,000 bet with Frank Sinatra.

Parts are available. Mechanical parts like fan belts, brake parts, spark plugs etc. can be bought from any auto parts store although you may have to wait a day or 2 for them to come in.

Body parts and upholstery especially chrome trim are the hard thing to find but even they are available, used or sometimes NOS (new old stock).

If you were in the US all this would be fairly simple although it would cost dough. As you are in Australia I just don't know.

So far as I know Chrysler was building cars in Australia for the Australian market in 1959 but the New Yorker convertible wasn't one of them. So you might have the only one in the country. Who knows.

There are some Australians who frequent this board, maybe one of them will weigh in with an opinion and some useful information.

Thanks..!

I have since done some research and found out that a 1958 New Yorker Convertible sold here in Australia for $150,000 and Kruse Auctions sold a 1959 in a Pebble Beach auction for over $200,000USD. I guess that doesn't matter as I don't plan on selling it once complete.

Any tips for good parts suppliers across America...?

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Wokka,

Man was never a mind reader, even though a few claim to be exactly that.

I note your remark that you have been a long time reader of this Forum but you are a first time poster.

I think this remark sums it up in a nut shell.

I have been a long time supporter of the Mopar product, approaching some 55 years, and whilst I may not profess to know very much about a '59 Yorker convertible I am but one of many here in Aussie that follow the same faith.

I therefore suggest that if you ask here in 'the land down under' you may recieve help that you apparenty so desperately need!!!!!

Cheers from the guy who is about to start world war three,

I hope not!!!!

John Spinks

Andy Bernbaum is the man for obsolete Chrysler parts.

http://www.oldmoparts.com/

If you lived in the US I would suggest NAPA. This is an auto parts chain with branches across the country. They seem to be better at getting parts for obsolete cars.

I wasn't kidding when I said most mechanical parts such as brakes, steering, tune up etc. are still cataloged by major parts manufacturers. You can buy them as easily as you can parts for a new car, but you need a good parts man to find the part number to order them by.

If you can find an old gray haired or bald headed parts man he may be able to help you. If all you have is a shiny new parts store with a pimple faced kid behind the counter it's doubtfull he will know how to help you.

John Spinks may be able to help with more local people such as parts suppliers and mechanics.

I will add that from the windshield forward the car was the same as any other New Yorker of that year. But from the windshield back the body is specific to a Chrysler convertible and the trim is unique to the New Yorker.

There are other places to look for parts such as Hemmings Motor News. There must be specific Chrysler bulletin boards that can help too, although I am not familiar enough with them to recommend one.

You might be interested to know that the New Yorker was Chrysler's top luxury car that year and the convertible was the most expensive model. That was the car they were selling against the Buick Roadmaster, Cadillac, Lincoln etc.

The Imperial was a separate make by then although it was made by the Chrysler corporation. It actually cost more than a Cadillac.

The also made a 300E model which was a pure hot rod with 2 4 barrel carbs on long ram manifolds, bucket seats, etc.

But the New Yorker convertible was top of the heap for pure luxury transportation.

In 1959 if you pulled up in front of the Sands in a New Yorker convertible to pick up Frank, Deano and the girls you wouldn't have felt a bit under dressed.

John,

Thanks..! If you saw the state of the '59 at the moment you would see I do need desperate help.... lol.

John, where would you suggest that I start here in Aust..?

Her is a few pictures of the old girl. It looks worse in the pic than it is...It nearly brings me to tears to see a classic in this condition.... your advise would be much appreciated.

post-53118-143137943309_thumb.jpg

post-53118-143137943327_thumb.jpg

Rusty,

Again thanks. It is funny you mention the Cadillac and 300 Chrysler series. I also have a '57 Fleetwood in my possession. It is 99.9% complete and will restore to it's former glory without much problem. It has been garaged of the past 30yrs (picture attached). I also have a '57 Chrysler 300C. This one again is very complete but will take more to restore. It has bad rust but is definitely recoverable (pictures attached). I guess my father knew what to look out for..???

post-53118-143137943344_thumb.jpg

post-53118-143137943361_thumb.jpg

post-53118-143137943378_thumb.jpg

Rusty,

You seem like a man in the know so I wanted to run some other cars by you to see what you think. My father, who is happy for me to do what I want with his cars, loved his Chryslers.

We have the following Chryslers.....

1. 1957 Saratogo 4dr. Complete but lots of rust.

2. 1958 Saratogo 4dr. Complete but lots of rust.

3. 1957 Imperial 2dr. Complete but needs new interior.

4. 1958 Imperial 4dr. Complete with a bit of rust

5. 1960 Imperial 4dr. Complete needs engine rebuild

6. 1965 Imperial. This car was President Johnson's when

he came out to Australia. He left it here and my dad

ended up with it.

7. 1962 Imperial LaBaron 4dr. Very good nick.

8. 1959 New Yorker Convertible (which you know about)

9. 1957 300C (which you know of)

My question is (besides the '62which doesn't really need work) are these cars all worth restoring..? I know I will have to spend a lot of $$$ but if you had to pick which ones would you do..? Or would you parts some of them..? All have good engines/running gear and I know the Hemi's are a sort after engine. Please don't tell me to restore them all....? LOL... Imagine the porsche/jag drivers with this lot chasing them...LOL... I have attached a few pic's just so you don't think that I am a Chrysler delusion'ist...? LOL.

post-53118-143137943465_thumb.jpg

post-53118-143137943482_thumb.jpg

post-53118-143137943499_thumb.jpg

post-53118-143137943518_thumb.jpg

That is an impressive list. But your question is impossible to answer.

The Saratoga (not Saratogo) is a sentimental favorite. This was one of the lowest priced Chryslers. It used the polysphere engine instead of the hemi. It was an excellent family car and great value for the money as it had most of the Chrysler features like torsion bar suspension, centerplane brakes and other advanced engineering at a friendlier price.

Saratoga was a summer resort town in New York state starting in the Civil War era. Famous for horse racing and gambling.

I also had a 59 New Yorker sedan at one time. The top was cut off and it was painted pink when it was used in a TV series here in Canada, called "Four On The Floor with The Frantics". The Frantics were a comedy troupe. The intro to the show had the boys cruising down the road in their pink convertible which then crashed thru the wall of their house. From then on the front clip of the New Yorker protruded thru the kitchen wall in every show LOL.

The Frantics in their convertible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frantics_(comedy)

I got the car after the show went off the air, with the front clip loosely reattached.

Of course anyone with any sense would say, put the money into the 300C. It is by far the most valuable. Though a little extreme for enjoyable driving.

If you like to drive and enjoy your cars then one of the Imperials would be the thing.

Really it comes down to which car pulls at your heart. You are going to commit a lot of time and money to a restoration project. Unless the car means a lot to you on the emotional level you are unlikely to see it thru.

The other important consideration is the condition of the car. Everything else being equal, go for the car that is most complete, in the best condition and has the lowest miles on it. It will be the easiest and cheapest to redo, and give the best end result.

Other than that follow your heart. If there are too many to do justice to, you may want to sell some of the least desirable ones to finance the restoration of your favorites.

All I can say is, what a dilemma to have.

Would love to do them all. I think I am leaning towards doing the '59 Convertible, '57 300C, '57 & '58 Saratoga the '57 Imperial.

I have always wanted to do these cars for as long as I can remember. I am an auto-electrician by trade (although I haven't worked inthe industry for a little while now) so having an idea about cars should help. The money I can deal with it's the room and the wife that might cause a few problems..LOL.

My other dilemma is a 1937 Graham (i think this is the year, see my add and pics posted on the Graham-Paige forum just today if you are interested, you maybe able to help me ID that one)..?? But I am in love with the '50's and generally Chryslers.... however..first is the '57 Cadillac that I posted a pic of...it is in the best nick and easiest to finish..... wish me luck....? I am 30 now.... should be finished by the time I am ...ohhh...about 130....LOL.

I'm like a kid in a lolly shop at the moment.... don't know what to start with...

• 5 years later...