VIN PLATES

Hi guys,finally back again.

I just wonder if any of you know if anybody make/reproduce the VIN plates on Chrysler product automobiles?

My 1960 DeSoto VIN plate have been stolen, any my 1959 DeSoto Diplomat (all '59 Plymouth Fury exept front clip) have been lost.

If nobody makes these plates yet, I belive this would be a good business for someone that would invest in the right tools, since these plates comes off very easily because of the very tiny little spotwelds that hold them in place on the left (driver's side) front door pillar.

Very appreciative for any help.

Thanks, Einar in Norway.

Galen Govier is the acknowleged expert on VIN plates and identification of all Chrysler made cars and parts from the muscle car era.

He can supply new fender tags for 1962 to 1974 Chrysler products.

I don't know if there was any difference between the fender tags made in 1959 and 1960, and those made in 1962. It is possible he can supply the fender tags you need.

Galen Govier's website:

http://www.gvgovier.com/

And Galen says he is (repeatedly) and THAT has made him the expert. You are in luck. The high value of Mopar products (especially in the muscle car era) has spawned a cottage industry of counterfitting, such that a slant-six equipped E-body can become a "real" Hemi car with that transaction.

In your case, the fender tag will be perfectly legitimate.

Thanks guys, for trying to help.

Of course I know the difference between a FENDER TAG and a VIN plate. Don't mean to be rude, but it don't seem like some others here know the difference.

What do I need ? Well, I wrote the VIN plate, didn't I ?

Of course I don't know the laws and regulations about these things in the U.S.A., but here in Norway you cannot have a car registered at the DMV if the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is missing. Just the fender tag is not enough.

From 1960 and on, (exept for the IMPERIAL) Chrysler Corporation made only "UNI-BODY" (unitized body contruction) automobiles. Some with a "SEMI-FRAME" and some not even with that much of a frame. And as far as I know, the only place to find the VIN is on that plate I am writing about here. At least on those cars with the semi-frame. As for the '59 DeSoto (Plymouth), the VIN was stamped somewhere on the frame, but when the frame gets old, with some rust, and you sandblast it, this number on this frame is mostly, or even totally erased.

I am very sorry to hear that it is illegal to reproduce the VIN plate of an automobile !!!? It's hard to understand that it is illegal to reproduce a VIN plate, when it is legal to use the title from one car to the other. I see people advertise buy/sell titles for different cars all the time. I would belive it would be a lot easyer to steal a car and just change the title, than it would be to change the VIN plate. There are numbers on the VIN plate that have to match the numbers on the Fender Tag. If they don't it would be very easy to read from these numbers that this car would be a fake. I even have addresses to companies that sells you new titles if you have lost your title, or even if you have no title at all. And it is all legal.

Well guys, I can only say that my head is getting pretty mixed up here.

Sincerely, Einar in Norway.

Well pardon me all to hell for trying to help. Since there is such a HUGE difference between a VIN plate and a fender tag, of course there would be no point in seeking help from the leading expert on Chrysler serial numbers, fender tags and build sheets.

Looks like you are up sh*t creek without a paddle.

That all depends on how well your country's motor vehicle inspectors understand what a 1960s Mopar tag is supposed to look like. 1955-1963 are about the same, roughly 1"x3" stainless steel, a stamped rim border, and it states "VEHICLE NO." stamped in from the backside (as is the border). The VIN is normally stamped from the backside, although the 1963 tag I have the first two digits are stamped from the front. If 1962-up tags can be had, 1960-61 tags are about the same, 1955-59 are a little smaller.

If your 1960 tag has been stolen, you should determine if anyone is using that number on another vehicle before you do anything else.

A lot of people do a lot of things - in the US, rules vary from state to state. Here in NY, I could show up with the right paperwork at the DMV and get license plates and registration for a VIN tag and not even have the car at all. Other states actually look at your car to verify it's correct. Some of them can be fooled, especially on the very old cars, with good quality home-made tags that have correct numbers, or numbers stamped on a frame to match a purchased title.

I would suggest verifying the appearance of the tags for your cars and the numbers, and then you have two or three options:

1. Find someone who can make correct appearing tags with the correct numbers for your car. A trophy maker may be able to do this.

2. Buy from someone in the US a junker with tags and some kind of paperwork. Remove tags for your use.

3. Buy correct tags that do not have paperwork and if it is relatively simple to get new paperwork for a car that has none, use those tags.

4. Use the engine number to register the car, if it matches the serial number. I'm not up on export Mopar stuff - it may match, it may be a little off, it may not even be close at all. Cadillac used the engine number as a registration number into the 1960s, although they did add a tag later on carrying the same number.

I've seen 1930's Willys auto serial number tags for sale on eBay. You're right, it would be a good business for someone to make these, as I've seen countless Forward Look Mopars with the tags missing, or picked them up off the floor/ground in the junkyard. They don't seem to have any logos or names on them that would make them subject to copyright laws, either.

The 1960 Chrysler and DeSoto are supposed to have a hidden VIN stamp in two locations. PM me if you'd like to know where.

Gentlemen!

Like I can't tell you about the laws and regulations in your country, I do not belive you can tell me about the same in my country. If you don't have the proper VIN you simply cannot have the car registered, PERIOD ! If I place another VIN on my car, that will be counted as fraud, I will get a big fine for it, and even go to jail.

I am the kind of person that don't like fraud, done by myself or anyone else. I just like to do things right.

Rusty_OToole, seems to me your block is a little TOO rusty, or perhaps you are a bit short of water on your radiator, you're boiling over for nothing. Please take into consideration that this is an international site, and not everyone can express themselfs perfect in a language that is not their own. Even if they can, ways of exspressing oneself may differ from one country and culture to the other. Peculiar tho', I meet a lot of U.S. people with your harsh attitude especially on U.S. website's discussion forums. If I hurt your pride as much as your post seem to show, I am HONESTLY very sorry (for whatever it is worth), and ask for your forgiveness. I NEVER intend to hurt anybodys pride or other feelings.

If you go back to the top, to my original post, all I ask for is as follows, quote: "I just wonder if any of you know if anybody make/reproduce the VIN plates on Chrysler product automobiles". End of quote. It's actually only 2 simple answeres to this question: YES or NO. If YES, I would of course appreciate the name and address of the person or company that do this. That's all I ask for. I know how most of these plates look,and where most of the plates are located, from mid 1950's to approx. 1980 so I don't need any guesses from people on this matter. I only ask for the info. I need, and when I need it, so you guys can use your time and energy to help others with their problems.

I know a few things about Chrysler product automobiles too, even if I live in a-far-away-country like Norway, but I never get to smart to learn from you guys. But please don't use your time and energy to tell me something I allready know very well, or something you may not know so well.

ted sweet states very clearly in his post, quote: "its illegal to make a vin tag" End of quote. Of course i could ask help from "the leading expert on Chrysler serial numbers, fender tags and build sheets". But I doubt that a serious person like Galen Govier would do something as illegal as to make/reproduce VIN plates. Because, if you read my original post, that I just mentioned, THAT is actually the only thing I am sking for here.

To you, Pontiac59, I will get in touch with you conserning the 2 hidden places. THANK YOU !

Sincerely, Einar in Norway.

Oldefar--contact the Chrysler historical collection for original data on your car, they made it, they have the records for 1960 (they have records for 1930-1967 Model year cars on microfilm) for $45 US they will decode the build record of your car and provide you with a photocopy of the original build record. You will need to send a photocopy of the title, registration or bill of sale with each order.

Chrysler historical collection

CIMS 410-11-21

12501 Chrysler freeway

Detroit, MI,48288

This is the data, from (as we say in the US) "the horse's mouth".