AACA and Region Logo

Guest boblove

Guest boblove

I am in the process of designing a magnetic door sign for our region members to put on their cars. I have proposed a modification of the AACA logo as depicted here. One of our members owns the vehicle pictured, an actual 1894 Duryea! Do I need to obtain AACA's permission use the AACA logo like this? I've already gone for the car owner's permission. The signs will be 8.5"x14".

TRAACA sign.jpg

Guest boblove

Thanks, my main reason for asking is because I have modified the original and didn't want to step on any toes. I use the regular logo a lot in our web and print publications but they always go in as original.

Bob, from memory, the AACA Logo is a registered Trademark.

I would wait until Steve responds, or, contact National Headquarters: 717-534-1910.

Regards,

PJH

1937hd45,

"<span style="font-weight: bold">boblove</span>" is making the request, not me. I suggested that he contact HQ and go from there...

PJH

Bob if I'm not mistaken, I believe that it is stated right in each issue of Antique Automobile that the AACA logo is a registered trademark. Personally I like the artwork, but if someone wanted to push the issue, this could put you into a bad position if you went ahead and did this on your own without permission (I could care less).

Three years ago I was in the process of making up license plates with the AACA logo when this was brought to my attention. I had one made up, and surrendered it to the National President at the time that it was done (Earl). I only made one, and I gave it up to avoid any problems.

A simple solution: Buy an AACA decal and apply it to magnet material. On our car trailer, we bought an AACA trailer decal, applied it to a piece of scotchlight, and stuck the scotchlight on our trailer. Needless to say by doing that we have reflective AACA decals on our car trailer. They look good, and give our trailer added visibility at night.

Guest boblove

The Duryea was shown at the 2003 Southeastern National Fall Meet in Tallahassee, FL. It was on the show field and was given a special dispensation. The car was started and moved on its own power under the watchful eyes of the judges. It was not required to be driven on to the show field due to its age and unique status. It was allowed under the show rules to be displayed and judged with all the other vehicles. It received an Historic Preservation Award. According to the write-up in the AA magazine, " <span style="font-style: italic">The AACA logo came to life when an 1894 Duryea appeared among the 257 registered vehicles at the Southeastern National Fall Meet hosted by Tallahassee Region on November 7-8, 2003. Parked in its rightful "endroit d'honneur" - place of honor, the Duryea became the oldest vehicle ever to be shown at an AACA meet anywhere. One of five known prototypes of the first American production vehicle, this historic Duryea is owned by Tallahassee Region member DeVoe Moore.</span> I can show no greater honor than having it represent AACA and the Tallahassse Region.

Bob, the trademark is registered but we allow regions and chapters to use it at will. Modifying it gives me some pain as we try to have a consistent message of who we are and have people instantaneously recognize us.

All that being said nothing is forever and companies change their logo's and trademark's all the time. While I would anticipate that our original trademark will always be kept we may at some point want to update it a bit.

I really am not sure who has authority to grant you approval to modify the design. However, as the business manager and from a legal standpoint I can not imagine we would send the lawyers after you! I would think we would prefer you not to do it but understand your very good intentions of honoring a local member. As long as this is for one item and does not filter into all the other region designs I think we could look the other way.

Guest boblove

Steve, thanks for your well thought out reply and I do appreciate your position as well as all the others that have replied. I do feel our original concept is indeed in error and that we should not change the AACA logo just for our benefit. I will continue to proudly display the logo as you can see in the newer version.

TRAACA Sign2.jpg