How to attach fender skirts

Guest Fr Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi FR MIKE ; First make sure you have an original set of skirts. There is a groove that run along the outer perimeter of the skirts which fits over the edge of the fender. It should have a rubber weatherstrip fastened to it to protect the paint. inside the chrome trim wings (if they are there) is a large chrome nut attached to two opposing rods attached to "j" shaped clamps. When the nut is turned it cams over and pulls the "j" clamps down tight on the inner fender lip and secures the skirts to the fender. They fit very tightly if correctly installed. Again ,you have to make sure all parts are there and that they are assembled correctly. It's hard to find a set that is not missing some parts. I got a set for my "36 Dodge and paid dearly for them before they were restored. Good luck! Any problems just e-mail me. Jim

Excellent description by jpage of how they work. He forgot to mention, however that they weigh about a ton each, so you may want to have some help putting them on.

Here are a few pics of a set that fit my '37. Dunno how much different they are than yours.

post-49937-14313794398_thumb.jpg

post-49937-143137943983_thumb.jpg

post-49937-143137943986_thumb.jpg

post-49937-143137943988_thumb.jpg

post-49937-14313794399_thumb.jpg

Guest Fr Mike

Hey Guys!

Please forgive my not replying sooner. I had just about given up on info that I could make work, and was just reviewing my posts, and . . .

Thanks for the helpful input. My set of skirts are in great shape and look pretty much like those for the '37, with only minor differences in the moving hardware and weight (they aren't that heavy).

On my '36, the fender sheet metal wraps underneath around the fender well wheel openings, forming an unwelded, just folded, seam; and it looks like I could carefully pry open a couple of places along the seam just wide enough to accept the skirt fender clamps, or clips of some kind (which I could probably design and make). OR, I might be able to weld permanent brackets on the inside of of these seams. I would, of course do what I could to prevent future rust.

Feedback?