Virginia's New Antique Auto Registration Form

I have posted a note sent to me last week from Mary Jean Inscoe of King George, Virginia,concerning the new Virginia Antique law. The Virginia DMV has started sending out letters to all antique vehicle owners advising them that they need to return a notarized letter pertaining to the use of their antique autos. The form in question also says to enclose <span style="font-weight: bold"> $50.00 </span>with the form. <span style="font-weight: bold"> This is incorrect</span>. If your vehicle was already registered before July 1, 2007, you do not need to send in extra funds, but you still have to send in the form with your signature on the appropiate lines of the form.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hi Wayne,

People up here have received letters from Richmond DMV. It tells about the new law effective July 1, 2007. It says: Effective July 1, 2007, Virginia law (Code of Virginia, Section 46.2-730) requires that owners of registered antique motor vehicles and trailers provide evidence that they own or have regular use of another properly registered passenger vehicle or motorcycle. In addition, owners must submit an <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #FF0000"> original notarized certification</span> </span> that the registered antique motor vehicle or trailer meets the safety equipment requirements for the model year in which it was manufactured and is capable of being safely operated on the highways of Virginia. Please use the Antique License Plate Application Certification (VSA 10B) form on the back of the letter.

It must be completed and returned to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) before January 1, 2008. DMV will verify the "Use of Another Vehicle or Motorcycle" information to ensure the registration is active. If you do not return the form before January 2, <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #FF0000"> DMV will cancel the vehicle registration</span></span>, according to Virginia law. (there is more about were to send form)

Carefully read the "Use of Antique Plates" section on the VSA 10B form to ensure you are <span style="font-weight: bold"> properly using </span>the registered antique vehicle or trailer. If you are not, you must apply for standard registration plates, with annual/biennial renewal, that have no driving restrictions. (there is more about contacting DMV if you have questions) The letter is signed by Jim Gurney, Director, Vehicle Services. FORM: Antique License Plate Applicant Certification Purpose: Instructions: Return the completed VSA 10B form (along with a VSA 10, VSA 14 or VSA 17A) with the <span style="color: #FF0000">one-time $50.00 fee</span> and any other applicable fees to any DMV customer service center. You may also mail the forms and fees to DMV. (gives address).

The question is - if the vehicle has been registered and you receive the letter, after filling the form (VSA 10B)out and having it notarized, <span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">do you have to pay the one-time $50.00 fee</span></span></span>? I don't think it applies to vehicles already registered - only when you register an antique vehicle after July 1, 2007. Is this correct? The form also states under USE OF ANTIQUE PLATES: .... Antique plates permit occasional pleasure driving (not to exceed 250 miles from the owner's residence) ... The way I read this part - you can go to shows, participate in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events that are more than 250 miles from home. Pleasure driving to me is just driving the vehicle for fun - no planned event. Thanks for your help. mji </div></div>

I repeat, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">"YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SEND IN $50.00!"</span></span></span>, if your vehicle is already registered in Virginia as an antique vehicle!

Wayne

Boy- I can see this turning into a nightmare. I called DMV headquarters Friday and the lady there wasn't totally familiar with it, but she read it as the $50 fee was required. I think I might just hold off a while until DMV gets its mess together.

Several of our guys were all for descending on DMV en masse and clogging up the Danville and South Boston offices for a few hours. My take is, DMV didn't change the law so why make the local office folks pay for the Legislature's misguided actions?

Bah, phooey.