Request information on 1921 Oldsmobile 43A Sedanto

Guest Robert Ducharme

Guest Robert Ducharme

I picked up a 1921 Oldsmobile 43A from a friend. While it appears to have many parts for the restoration, there are sure to be some missing. What I am looking for is:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Contact information for people who have documentation I can get for restoration. This includes engine, body, etc[*]Contacts for people who have parts or knowledge to help me in this restoration.[*]Any useful information about the cars, clubs in Denver, CO area, or people who have restored these.

Thanks for your assistance

Guest oldsmobile1915

Hi Robert,

I found some more information for you.

Check out:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/3/4/84263234.htm

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=70720

http://cgi.ebay.com/1924-Oldsmobile-Mode...7QQcmdZViewItem

Now, I do not know the condition of your Oldsmobile or where you are starting from... Generally, It is cheaper to buy a car already restored than it is to restore it yourself (unless the car is so rare that you would be able to get your money back out of the vehicle when you are done). If you are like me and crazy enough to just restore cars for the enjoyment, then you will be having a fun time with this vehicle.

There is not a "Chilton's or Haynes" repair manuals that is specific for this vehicle (to the best of my knowledge). There might be one, but I have not seen it yet - then again, I wasn't specifically looking for a 1921 Model 43A. The closest thing would be a Dyke's automotive encyclopedia. It pretty much tells you everything you need to know about 98% of your systems. This includes how to drive the car, engine / mechanical, electrical, basic upholstery, basic body, and even food to pack and how to cook when you are out on a road trip!

The easiest thing to obtain for parts is a parts car, use what you can, and ebay or swap meet whatever is left. Items do pop up once in a while, but most places don't have the parts. I have found that the people that do have the parts often (but not always) charge a heavy price because they have the part and they know you need the part.

I hope some of this helps... If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Best,

Joe Ferrero

ps - For links and restoration stuff, check out the "contact me" page on my website. You may find some ot this helpful.

www.geocities.com/oldsmobile1915

From the previous email reply:

Hi Robert,

Well, what would you like to know... I have only had my three 1915 Oldsmobiles for just over a year, but I have done a lot of research that covered Oldsmobile for a good chunk of time.

I don't know everything about your car, but here is some of the information I do know.

In 1921, 19,157 total sales were that year for Oldsmobile. For 1921, this included The Model 37 (948) Model 43A (top seller at 13,867), Model 45B (9), Model 46 (745), and Model 47 (3,085), economy trucks (503).

The model 43A 4 door closed car sedan made 2,386. Price was $2,145. It was the heaviest car at 3,027lbs. The 43A had a 115" wheelbase, 224 cubic in engine with a hp rating of 43.

Olds still used brush painting and each paint job was hand rubbed. Most cars were left hand drive, but a few right hand drive were made for export. Interior appearance was enhanced with a nickeled steering column

The Model 43A was produced from 1921 to 1923. (So parts and pieces should still pop up from time to time).

I am learning upholstery, woodworking, auto body, mechanical stuff, and beyond. I'll do what I can to help.

So, where are you from? Do you have any photos of your Oldsmobile? How long have you had it? What do you want to do with it (is it a show car or a go car?)?

I'm reworking my website but hope to post restoration photos as they come along. www.geocities.com/oldsmobile1915

I wish you luck and please keep me posted.

Best,

Joe Ferrero

• 3 years later...
Guest vermonterfive

These cars are actually pretty rare. I've only seen four in over forty years that were running cars. The last one was at Hershey 2010 all original down to the paint and interior.

I have the remains of two mod 43A touring cars. One is inside undercover the other is outside. Would just as soon sell both of them as parts for these cars are nearly impossible to find. Cars are in Massachusetts

Dale in Vermont

Guest Oldsbuddy

I'm restoration 43A touring also. I have also notised, parts are hard to find. My car is missing starter motor and I hope that somebody can help me. Would someone tell, what is the starter type number? The car has obviously been used Delco and Auto-lite starter(First Auto-lite and then Delco?). Anybody know any other manufacturers who used the same starter? And ,of course, if someone could sell this starter, I'd be very happy...

Guest vermonterfive

First the 4 cyl model 43A has a starter/generator combination attached to the timing case. If you are missing this unit you must be missing the distributor as it runs off the end of the starter/generator. I do have two complete drive trains so I have two of these starter/generator units. They are still on the vehicle condition unknown. Neither car ran when purchased. A Chevrolet distributor can be substituted for the Olds unit. Yes I would sell one of these units.

Guest Oldsbuddy

Thanks your reply. I have generator/distributor, which is, front end located in the engine. But I haven't starter motor which is rear end located in the engine and rotate the flywheel. I think these are well separated. My car is a 1921 model. Whether your cars model 1921-1923?

• 3 years later...
Guest Ronoldsmobile

Hi

I just purchased a1921 olds roadster but it is missing the dash So no gauges switches etc.

Any idea where to locate these parts

The seller lied about the car and told me it was complete

thanks for any help

Ron

in Europe

Ron, a National Antique Olds Club http://www.antiqueolds.org/ membership will help here. I'm not plugging for the club, but that's where you'll find people with pre-war and older Oldsmobiles who may be able to help you find the missing parts and get them to you in Europe.

Steve Moskowitz here on AACA may know someone who has the parts. He's also the 1901-1916 adviser to NAOC.

• 3 months later...
Guest Oldsbuddy

Hi Ron,

if you still have problems with the dashboard, so I can probably help you. I have disassembled Oldsmobile 1921 43A dashboard. If you want, I can draw a model of your cardboard and send it to you. I myself live in Finland. You can send an email to jouko4730@gmail.com

Jouko