72 buick electra headlight conversion problem

jenmk1976

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I work at an auto parts store. My customer has a 1972 Buick Electra and he is converting the headlamps from the original sealed beam to the aftermarket composite bulbs. The customer (James) did get the low beams to work, however, the problem is in the HIGH BEAMS. He has a TWO PRONG opening on the vehicle and all of the headlamps they recommend are the 9003/H4 bulbs, which have THREE PRONGS. James said he did get the HIGH beams to work, however, after about 2 minutes, the lights began to flicker and then went out. Is there such a thing as an adapter from two to three prongs, or is there a solution I can relay to him? (James doesn't have internet service, so I will be communicating with him via phone). Please help! My e-mail: jenmk1976@yahoo.com

A H4 bulb is wrong for high beam as it is designed with 2 filaments for high and low beams. The H4 should be used in the outside position. A H1 would be the proper bulb for high only (inside position) and must be wired with a relay in-line or you will overload the circuit causing the breaker to overheat and opening said circuit. The light green wires are the high beam wires underhood, running along the top of the drivers side inner fender. Wire a relay in line and the flickering problem will be solved. Oh, there are two light green wires, one for each side of the car. You should cut the light green wire using the wiring coming from the passenger compartment as the "switch" on your relay, twisting both of the wires together. The side of the wire going to the headlights should also be twisted together and connected to the output of the relay. You will also need to provide power and ground to the relay. Use at minimum 12 ga wire from your power source (battery) to the relay!

added in edit: Hella makes a relay for just this type of application.