Resistor wire.

63Electra

Where to I find some new resistor wire for my car? I'm looking for the wire that comes off the ignition switch and goes through the firewall and meets up with the black wire that leads to the coil. The original is in bad shape. Could this be the reason the car will not start with the ignition switch?

The wire can either lose its resistance which would result in to much voltage to the points, causing premature point failure, or the wire could have an open condition, resulting in no voltage to the coil, which will definately cause a no-start condition.

Check to see if you have power at the coil end of the wire. You should have about 8 volts after going through the resistance wire. IF not, hook up a bypass wire and see if it will start. If it does, you know the wire is history.

I would think a good parts store could still come up with that wire. Worst case, or a temp fix is to use a regular wire and a ballast resistor.

If it is still a no start, make sure the points are operating correctly. I'm thinking that is still a point distributor, but i'm old and my memory sucks..! If so, clean and adjust the points. The point surfaces can get a film build up just from sitting, which wouldn't allow current to pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Most people at parts stores look at me like I am nuts. Looking for such a thing online has left me nowhere also. any suggestions of where to get this stuff? Napa had no Idea.

Is the temp sender on the block part of the Ignition system?

Hey! Your right down the street from me...!! Almost....

I'm in Apple Valley.

No, temp sender has nothing to do with ign system. Unless, of course, you wired it into the ign system...!

I haven't tried to purchase a resistance wire for a long time, but I can't believe they aren't available. They were used on all GM cars for years.

As I said before, if you want to drive the car while you are looking for a resistance wire, get a ballast resister and you can drive while you shop..!