White wall cleaner

Barry Wolk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Walling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barry, I recall that you were haveing trouble with brown white walls

a while ago and thought that the tires were bad.

Maybe this was the problem? </div></div>

No, my dog is much taller than that. wink.gif

Actually, I have since discovered that Mineral Spirits is the ticket for sprucing up old whitewalls. The MS dissolves the top layer of white latex exposing brilliant white material below. It also works well on th black part of the tire.

Guest windjamer

AS I told some of the members of my club, dogs do that to wheels. Thats why I remain a indian and not a cheif Dick

Barry, what type of surface is left after using the minderal spirits? I ask because I am wondering if I want to try this with older, but not ancient narrow WWs that I just never seem to be able to get super white. Westleys makes them ok, but not super white. I guess any of this stuff dries out the tire but that is unavoidable, and it probably takes a long time. I think having my cars in a garage away from sunlight 99% of the time helps with this also.

I just wouldn't want the surface to become rough or susceptable to more road film.

Thanks -

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just wouldn't want the surface to become rough or susceptable to more road film.

</div></div>

My opinion: Use something that's specifically made for the job. I generally use Westley's, and sometimes occasionally augment with a steel wool pad for scrubbing (though for an AACA show car I probably would nix the steel wool for risk of "scratching" the rubber--maybe a stiff bristle brush is a better first step).

Though I've yet to try it, I've heard good reports about the Coker ww cleaner, ref: http://store.coker.com/product.php?printable=Y&productid=16241

Steve