What Buick is this and what's it worth?

panic

I agree with 58Mustang. It looks like a 1935 Buick. The nameplate on the firewall will tell the whole story.

If you have the fenders and most of the other parts for a complete car, it could be worth $2-5K here in the NW. Keep in mind that the value should be determined by the final restored value minus the cost of restoration.

If you do not have the fenders etc. it will only be a parts car for someone who already has a more complete restorable car, and will just be worth the value of the parts.

"Keep in mind that the value (of an unrestored car) should equal the restored value minus the cost of restoration". Who came up with this ridiculous idea? If that rule is followed, virtually every unrestored car would have a NEGATIVE value, unless your idea of "restoration" is slip covers and a few cans of Rustoleum. If anyone out there has an unrestored '32 Packard Convertible and is willing to pay me to take it away I'm interested! '32 Packard 902 Conv maybe $125000 if resold, cost of a show restoration $150000 or so, meaning anyone with an unrestored '32 Packard would need to cough up $25000 just to get someone to take it off their hands? Likely less than 5% of the cars in the show at Hershey or any other major show could be sold for more than the cost of restoration unless the owner supplied all the labor himself and valued his labor at $2/hr. or less.

Hey, take your best shot. We try to keep our hourly rate as low as possible but with the cost of insurance, employee benefits, cost of materials, etc. it's a tough business to make a living at. I tell every potential customer the same thing; "Go buy the best restored example of the car you want to restore. It will be less expensive". They seldom listen. We charge for our time and for whatever knowledge/expertise we've gained over the years and let the customers worry about justifying the cost of restoration. No one is more surprised than I am at the amount of work that is out there for shops that are reasonable with what they charge and that actually get the work done. Right now, among other vehicles, we are working on a '33 Cadillac V12 at one end of the shop and a '60 Triumph TR3 at the other. To cover expenses and hopefully make a bit of profit we have to charge the same hourly rate to work on either. Just took delivery of a gallon of PPG Black Urethane paint...$221 without the hardener. It's an expensive hobby for sure. Even if you provide the labor yourself it is still expensive.

The story has not changed....

When I got into this crazy hobby in 1964, I lived down the street from a restoration shop, Wilkinson & Sharpe. they were restoring a 1934 Packard Twelve convertible coupe. One day I was chatting with the owner.

He grieved.."...I've got $5,000 in this car...I'll NEVER get it back out!"

(I had just bought a 1937 Packard Twelve Formal sedan out of a junkyard...had to give $100.00 for it!"

I'm sure that all us old timers could fill your ears with such stories....

• 1 year later...
Guest 1969z28

I agree with Restorer32. From a pure labor stand point, it probably doesn't take any more labor to restore a Tucker versus a Chevy of the same year assuming cars are both complete and in the same condition. I am pretty sure one would fair better on the Tucker.

Rarity doesn't always dictate price either. I am having a restoration shop restore a 1931 Devaux. I don't expect it to be worth the price of the car plus the restoration costs. There are probably less than 200 Devauxs left in existence, but there is currently a Devaux being offered from sale in a museum for about $18K. It looks to be an older restoration. Surfing the net, you can find dozens of restored 1931 Model A Fords for sale with asking prices over $35K.

I bought the car for the love of the car and not for an investment speculation. Worth is always dictated by the eye of the buyer and not the seller.

Just as with real estate, common stock, and other investments, collector cars,(unless pitifully ineptly chosen), do appreciate well over time. Look at what the prices were for AACA classics and antiques in older back issues of Antique Automobile, Motor Trend, OCW, and other car publications. This is not to say that there aren't cycles with their ups and downs, and at a given time there may be "hot" categories such muscle cars today, with prices that may "bubble out" somewhat.

If you are in the hobby for the long run, don't fret too much about how "upside down" you are in your restored car. Just enjoy it. It will pay back financially later.Who was it who said "you didn't pay too much, just too early"?