Early 1950's Glidden Tours

Hi all,

Does anyone have a list of vehicles that participated on the early Glidden Tour Revivals?

I have a 1910 Model T Touring that was on one or several during that time, and would like to confiorm the date or dates. It was owned my Maynard Leighton of Maine at that time.

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Is all the brass trim Nickle Plated? Maynard's brotherinlaw lived here in town and had a 1912 T Touring he got from Maynard. The '12 was nickled and I think he found another T that was Nickled, story was that it was done by the factory or dealership. My 1912 T was owned by Elmer Bemis and ran on the 1950 Glidden, no mention of Maynard Leighton on that tour, he was into Stanley Steamers big time, the Stanley Museum in Maine may have some info that could help you.

• 7 years later...

Hi Chris- I believe the AACA Library has Glidden Tour rosters, even though I believe these very early tours were VMCCA events. The Benson Research Center at the Henry Ford Museum also has these early tour rosters. I am not sure where the VMCCA has their archives now, they used to be housed at the Larz Anderson Museum, but that was a long time ago and I am not sure if they are still there or if they have been relocated. The late 1909 touring I just sold, #7299, was driven by George Antinerella of Boylston, Mass. on virtually all the tours from 1950 into the early 1960s-I am sure these two cars "met" over the years. Hope all is well with you!

post-31738-143142697541_thumb.jpg

post-31738-143142697553_thumb.jpg

Chris Ritter at AACA Library has early Glidden Tour lists. The tours were originally the idea of AACA people who mentioned the subject to Jim Melton. He got Firestone and Ford involved and took over the promotion for the first event in 1947. I have interesting correspondence about this subject.

Thanks for checking and bringing this thread back up. I have since found out that my car was not owned by Maynard Leighton. It was one of two 1910 T Tourings (among other cars) owned by Charles Boothby, also of Maine.

Thanks for the interesting information about the early tours.

Chris,

Dang it if Charles Boothby of Emery Hills, ME wasn't in the 1954 Glidden! No. 236, Ford 1910. No. 235 was B.J. Pollard in a '13 Chalmers. Duryea was there in a Cadillac, Joy in a Packard, Pope in a Pope-Hartford, Stein in a Welch, Clark in a Simplex, and Melton in a Rolls-Royce.

Jeff

McPherson College Alum, '78

(took one philosophy class)

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)