Road Trip!

Guest imported_Thriller

Guest imported_Thriller

It's been a long day. I left the house at 6:00 a.m. to go meet Lapham3 to procure a gas tank for my Wildcat. I couldn't take the most direct route as that border crossing doesn't open until 8:00...sigh. Anyway, aside from the border crossing, which was quick as there was no line, I made one stop en route and got to the spot north of Brainerd around 12:30. I did have to avoid deer on #2 near Erskine and a turtle on the road somewhere south of Bemidji. We went over the tank and did the deal, and wound up chatting for over an hour and a half. It's always good to meet another Buick man.

The drive home was a bit longer...I stopped for a bite of lunch, and, having paid some attention to diesel prices along the way, planned my stops a bit to take advantage of some lower prices. Once again, I went by a '55 4-holer north of Plummer...it was raining pretty good at the time, so I didn't even consider stopping...I'd left the camera at home, thinking why would I need it. Last chance for cheap fuel, and supper, and it was time for the border crossing.

This time there was a bit of a line...then of course, I'd forgotten to get a receipt made up for the tank...that wasn't a show stopper, but they got a big more rigourous and went through the truck...of course, I had to pay sales taxes on what I declared I paid for the tank (something is wrong with paying sales taxes on used parts that are over 40 years old, but what can you do?). Eventually I was off for the last hour home.

So, 15.5 hours away from home, some $250-$300 total spent, and a sore butt. Was it worth it? You bet. As stated earlier, I got to meet another interesting Buick owner and learned a few things, and I got that which I needed to get the Wildcat back on the road. I'm happy...tired, but happy.

Time for bed now...good night.

Guest imported_Thriller

Not yet...when I drop off the tank on Monday, I'll be asking. The shop I deal with farms it out to a rad shop, so I need to be sure that we open the lines of communication and have our ducks in a row so as to prevent a repeat event.

Dereck-Glad you made it home in good shape and it was very nice to meet you. I'd guess that tank is probably fine as is. It came out of a running car and then was well stored. It would be a good idea to lengthen your power and ground connections so you can tip the tank back and forth to check the sender/gauge for proper operation-also a little gas in there and oriented to verify that the sender o-ring is still sealing OK. I'm not sure I'd let the same guys touch it that handled your other one! good luck-Dan