50 De Soto steering wheel

Guest brian

Guest brian

Wanted - steering wheel for a 50 De Soto. Mine is just the skeleton with a bit of plastic left on the hub.

Failing anyone having a wheel for sale, or knowing where I can get one, I would appreciate pictures and/or drawings of an original wheel so that a friend can make a replica. This guy is a very talented, expert worker in metal and plastics - he makes a speciality spray gun for our company - and if he can get accurate info to make a wheel for me he would be interested in making them for any other buyers. However, he does need very detailed information in order to replicate the wheel correctly.

This is very common on Chrysler products of the early 50s. They used a pearly translucent plastic that was good for about 10 years, by now most of them have succumbed to sun damage.

What I am driving at is that if you made a mold there would be a demand for repro steering wheels. You could take the old skeleton and mold on new plastic.

I would buy one myself for my 51 DeSoto.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

I have a very good one for a 1951 custom....3 spoke.....it is not perfect...has some cracks but is all there and in the tan color.....nor sure intwill fit a 1950 though.

BvR

Guest brian

Thanks, BvR but go ahead, Rusty. My car is in another city, but memory tells me the wheel is whitish rather than brown. I was waiting for a call from it's custodian to confirm, but I'm virtually certain I'm right. Of course, I'll be ticked off if I'm wrong and brown is the colour.

Guest imported_BaronvonR

The color of the wheel is Ivory...so it is more white than brown...I will send both of you the pictures I just need emails so I can....It is just the wheel....no ring or button....The real question here is whether the 1951 wheel will fit the 1950.

BvR

Guest CutNChop

I have a 50 DeSoto parts car with a crumbling wheel.

It's got all the other parts like the center and horn ring,

if anyone's looking.

Other bits available as well...no motor or trans.

P1260006_edited.jpg

P1260007_edited.jpg

• 5 years later...
Guest Rylujan
Wanted - steering wheel for a 50 De Soto. Mine is just the skeleton with a bit of plastic left on the hub.

Failing anyone having a wheel for sale, or knowing where I can get one, I would appreciate pictures and/or drawings of an original wheel so that a friend can make a replica. This guy is a very talented, expert worker in metal and plastics - he makes a speciality spray gun for our company - and if he can get accurate info to make a wheel for me he would be interested in making them for any other buyers. However, he does need very detailed information in order to replicate the wheel correctly.

I have a 52 Desoto, can you e mail me pictures of your steering wheel? I have the original steering wheel and its complete. I just need to get it restored. If you or anyone else can help me, that would be great. I'm interested in the horn button and everything else for the steering wheel if you still have it available. Do you have the front and rear bumpers and front grill. My car is missing them. My e mail is : robertlujan71@yahoo.com

Guest Rylujan
I have a very good one for a 1951 custom....3 spoke.....it is not perfect...has some cracks but is all there and in the tan color.....nor sure intwill fit a 1950 though.

BvR

how much are you asking for your steering wheel. I'm sure it looks better than mine. Lol. My plastic is all crumbled. E mail me pictures please and how much your asking. I have a 52 Desoto custom four door. E mail is : robertlujan71@yahoo.com

Guest Rylujan

I. Have a complete steering wheel for a 52 Desoto. I think it's the same. If you need pictures I can send them to you. If you can also help me out in getting mine restored. Just the plastic is broken up. But other then that its complete. My e mail is : robertlujan71@yahoo.com

I looked in my Mopar parts book and DeSoto offered 4 steering wheels in 1950. They had a Beige and a Grey in a 2 spoke style (1330387 & 1330388) and a blue or a tan one in 3 spoke.( 1322042 & 1322040). The two spoke had a different Blow ring retainer so make sure which one you need or you may be chasing other parts. I have a shop manual for 49-52 DeSoto if someone is needing one.

Guest Rylujan
I looked in my Mopar parts book and DeSoto offered 4 steering wheels in 1950. They had a Beige and a Grey in a 2 spoke style (1330387 & 1330388) and a blue or a tan one in 3 spoke.( 1322042 & 1322040). The two spoke had a different Blow ring retainer so make sure which one you need or you may be chasing other parts. I have a shop manual for 49-52 DeSoto if someone is needing one.

I have the tan one I guess. It is complete, I just need a better looking one. All my plastic broke apart. It costs too much to refurbish it. Mine is a 3 spoke and my car is a 52 Desoto Custom. I have a shop Manuel but it doesn't have the steering wheel blown out. E mil me and I can send you a picture of my steering wheel. Robertlujan71@yahoo.com