Two 1951 Special 4-dr. sedans, Free, Chicago, IL.

Pete Phillips

A non-member of the Buick Club contacted me about 10 days ago, with an offer of two 1951 Buick Special 4-dr. sedans (model 41-D), free if the person taking them can pick them up before mid-June, when he is moving out of state. One runs and drives, though he says it is probably not up for a long trip across the country. The other is a parts car that does run. The parts car is a 3-speed standard shift; the better car is a Dynaflow. The owner wants the cars to go to someone who will not crush them, and someone who will not street-rod them. You have to pick them up in Chicago, Illinois, and plan on trailering at least the parts car. And remember, the cost is zero, so don't expect perfection! THe owner is not computer literate, so there are no digital photos.

I emailed two officers of the Chicagoland Chapter about this offer last week (asking them to spread the word), but have not had a single response, nor even an acknowledgement of my email, let alone the owner's generous offer. I guess I don't understand what makes some people tick...This is an opportunity for someone on a small budget to get into the old car hobby, or someone who is restoring a 1951 Special to get a good parts car plus a running, driving car. The cars are near the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago. I am not going to give out the owner's phone # here, for fear he will be over-run with prank calls. But if you are genuinely interested in one or both of these cars, and you have the ability to follow through before the owner has to move out of state, then email me and I will give you the phone number.

I would take these cars myself if I lived closer to Chicago, and gasoline to transport them to Texas wasn't $3 per gallon.

We know that both of these cars run, and a running 263 cu. in. straight eight is worth several hundred dollars. Plus, you get all of the rest of each car. If the upper grille bars are good, there's another $150 or more. Get my drift? Wake up, you Illinois and upper Midwest Buick folks. This is for real. There is not time to advertise it in the Bugle, due to printing lead times.

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Pete Phillips, Editor

The Buick Bugle

Pete,

I also received a phone call from this gentlemen about the vehicles-- In time to be brought up during the duration of our May chapter meeting, on May 2nd. With over 30 members in attendance, you would think someone would have inquired about the man's name and phone number, but alas NO ONE made any said inquiries of me during or after the meeting. I heard some "boy, If I only had the room" statements-- others just sat and stared with that deer in headlights look on their faces. I was sure that a few of our members owning early 50'S would have shown more interest, but.........

All I can say is, I tried and made an effort to inform our members of the "special" deal-- but had no takers. I hope your posting gets better results. With my hectic work schedule, I ndidn't get a opportunity to post it here after last weeks meeting.

Last resort-- talked to an older guy I know loves old cars and has the room. If nothing is panning out email me and I will run this down there is no way he will junk, or rod these cars out. I don't have any interest in em but I sure as hell don't want to see anymore get crushed or destroyed.

Edited by brh (see edit history)

A word of warning about the owner of these cars. Some relatives of a friend of mine were going get these two Buicks with good intentions, etc., and today the owner has changed his tune. He now wants to sell them for $1000--not give them away. It seems he has a little trouble with his word and his memory, not unlike a certain U.S. Attorney General...

I do not know him--was only trying to do the guy a favor, but now I think everyone should stay away. What other surprises is he going to throw at you when you arrive to take the cars off of his hands? Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up. I guess the old adage applies: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• 4 weeks later...

I told my sister in Minessota about them. She and her husband had told me recently they had wanted to get a car to restore. Well, they went and got them. This is what they got for $1000 and gas. These pictures were taken the moment the cars arrived on the farm. They promise me more pictures later. I told them I would sign them up for the BCA.

post-31046-143137937509_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143137937516_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143137937523_thumb.jpg

post-31046-14313793753_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143137937536_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143137937542_thumb.jpg

Guest 57wagon

wow! That was a bargain! The grey car (at least in photos) looks to be worth 10x the amount they paid for the pair. Unbelievable! What a great find! Keep the photos coming!!!

Guest imported_Thriller

What he said ^

Great looking body on the one. Good to see them go to a good home and to know that they'll be BCA members soon.

A few more pictures taken upon arrival. After it was unloaded from the trailer, it started and was driven into the garage. It came with many boxes of literature. Also, they are going back next week to get all the parts that came off the parts car. It seems like the previous owner had two complete 1951 Model 41-D Buicks, one automatic, and one manual. He restored the automatic one first, then started on the other one by stripping it down. But he has kept all the pieces.

post-31046-143137937766_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143137937772_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143137937778_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

A great way to join the Buick fraternity...and bordering on grand theft auto...of course, if it were here, they want the sales tax, so they don't believe the bill of sale generally...they go by gold (or whatever appropriate colour) book value....