need motor help on model 47, 1924 buick, 6cyl

hemijim

was trying to help a friend out, he has a very nice class47, when he first got it, there was a knock in the motor, after pulling the o/pan off, he noticed the #3 con rod was loose, the babbitt was chewed up, the crank didnt have any deep scores, he had another rod, so he replaced the bad one, everything was great until today, after a short trip for an inspection, the knock came back, same rod #3, any clue as to what may be the problem here? or advice on what to look for, etc... his daughter is getting married next week, and planned on going in this car, any help greatly appreciated.....

I had the same problem on my 31 sedan. Check to make sure the bearing journal is getting oil. The bearing journal on the crankshaft may look OK, but is most likely tapered on one or both sides. This will quickly damage the replacement rod babbitt.

I too tried to get by with a rod from my spare engine. This option may last long enough to get through the wedding, but you really need to even up the bearing journal and make sure the babbitt in the rod is only .0015 larger than the crankshaft.

I bought a special tool to correct my crankshaft problem without removing it from the car. It did work to even up the journal, but it also reduced the diameter of the journal enough to require re-babbitting the rod. Let me know if you want to borrow this tool. Send me an email so I can send you some photos.

durcodude@comcast.net