1940 caddilac wiring poss or neg ground ???

bbowman59

Would it be possible for you to "scan" and E mail to me a wiring diagram that you have, that says 1940 Cadillacs have a "negative" ground electrical system ? This would be most interesting, as most pre-war GM cars had a POSITIVE ground system.

• 2 years later...

Found out the hard way.....our 1940 Model 60S has a positive ground 6V system. Someone before me put a 12V battery and did it as a negative ground.

• 3 months later...

pretty sure it's positive ground....next time that I remember i'll look at my '40 la salle. my '41 cad was changed to 12v negative ground by a previous owner and not all the gauges are hooked up yet...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bofusmosby
Pretty sure that prewar GM, Ford and Chrysler were positive ground.

On that note, I own a 1937 Pontiac (GM) that is negative ground.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Take a look at the battery cable leads, and see if one end has a larger end or not, if the cables have not be changed you can tell that way, and look at the ignition coil to to see if the neg terminal goes to the distributer or the pos, , and set the battery that way, and re polarize the generator to make sure it will charge the battery in what ever setup you have,, as the car really does not care, even the radio does not care what polarity you have, unless you have a solid state viberator in it..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest rsd9699

I would check the regulator points - they use two different types of metal for the points depending on the +- ground. At least you may want to polish them a little and check for stuck points.

Ron

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Packard, Hudson, Chrysler, Ford, Nash, Studebaker, everyone but GM in those years was positive ground. Far as i've seen, Cadillac was the exception at GM, being the only division in those years to be positive ground.

Wonder what the thinking at GM's other negative-ground divisions was. Anyone have a sound engineering reason? Have often wondered.