Determining model & series 1936 Buick McLaughlin

Osirus

Guest imported_Thriller

I didn't realize the Canadian Buick numbers differed that much from the American numbers. None of my sources is helpful in decoding that.

With the model number of 4499, I would surmise that it is a series 40.

I really like that plate though...not many people seem to remember that there was a plant in Regina.

If you don't mind my asking, where is this car located? Is it still in Canada?

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Osirius:

I agree that it's a Special with the 4499 model designation. The number at the end of the long string is, I think, "0788". This would indicate the 788th car of the year and McLaughlin made 4722 cars in 1936. In other words, a fairly early 1936 car. Look for the motor number stamped on the engine, if it still has it's original engine. I can pinpoint closely when the engine was built at Buick. If you add about 4-6 weeks to that, you can get a close estimate when production occurred at McLaughlin.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

Keep us posted. If you decide to procure this car, I'll be happy it is staying in Canada.

You can always count on Dave for decoding those numbers.

On another note, they probably don't have details on this car, but GM Canada Archives may be able to shed a bit of light - last I recall, they charged $25 for the service - you provide them with serial number and body tag info, and they can put something together. I have a sheet with exact info from them for my '66 Wildcat. I had them check out the '56 Special, also a Canadian car - they didn't have exact records, but sent a whole bunch of photocopied information, including available options and the appropriate prices. Unless something has changed, they are available at 1-800-263-3777 or 1-800-263-7854. If I understand correctly, the second number is for bilingual service.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Osirius:

Some time ago, I posted here on the forum the annual Buick production at McLaughlin. I'll see if I can find it and get it where you might see it.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest mclbuick2002

The first 5 numbers in the 1936 Mclaughlin Buick serial number are as follows.The 6 is for 1936,the 44 is for the 44series 118" wheelbase,the 99 is for a 5 passenger deluxe sedan [trunk].A 4699 would be a 122";A 4899 would be a 131" and a 4999 is a 138" deluxe sedan.Mclaughlin Buick made a total of 22 different models on 4 different wheelbases in 1936.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OracleUK

My Canadian Database book tells me that serial numbers ran 644XX0001 and Up..very useful! Engine numbers were Walkerville-built W-2941439 and up. However they must have run to 3077750 at least.

Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it. I have a question though. How difficult is it to locate a 1936 Buick Limited ? Am I better off picking this 40 up or should I continue my search for a 90 ?

Guest OracleUK

There weren't many to start with and the prices for those that I know of are astronomic. Get whilst the going's good?