Free Wheeling?

Guest redman60

Guest redman1960

Would someone explain the difference between "free wheeling" and just coasting with the clutch in?

Guest leadfoot

From 1934 Plymouth sales literature -

<span style="font-style: italic">The free wheeling transmission allowed the driver to release his foot from the accelerator and allow the car to coast while still in gear. In effect the free wheeling prevented "engine braking" and the engine was allowed to run at idle speed while the car coasted along on its own momentum with the transmission still in gear. When the driver wished to speed up all he had to do was step on the throttle.</span>

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my guess.... Freewheeling seems to take place between the regular transmission and the differential, within the overdrive unit. Depressing the clutch disengages the transmission from the engine. So, I conclude that in freewheeling mode the transmission is connected to the engine but not to the driveshaft, and transmission parts are still moving. In depressed clutch mode, the transmission is not connected to the engine, but still connected to the differential. Therefore the transmission parts are moving in relation to the rear wheel speed. In other words, to answer your question, it is the same result.

By the way, I would like to contact you regarding your last name. E-mail me at jack_redman@hotmail.com when you get a chance.

Guest De Soto Frank

Clarification,

Overdrives do have a free-wheeling feature when the OD is engaged.

"Freewheeling" was a non-OD option that was around from 1931 to '33, then went away.

It was basically an over-running clutch that allowed the engine to drive the wheels, but not the other way around.

And in the days of primitive brakes, I'll bet there were more than few accidents resulting from folks not being able to slow their cars down in time when Freewheeling was engaged...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way, I would like to contact you regarding your last name. E-mail me at jack_redman@hotmail.com when you get a chance. </div></div>

Whose last name are you referring to?

Guest De Soto Frank

Okay, I'll bite...

Which did and which didn't ?

I'm familiar with the '39 & later semi-electrics... I presume the earlier ODs did not have free-wheeling ?

Guest 31Pierce43

As an example, for 1931, Pierce Arrow introduced a Warner 3 speed synchromesh transmission with integral freewheeling unit. The freewheeling feature operates in 2nd and 3rd, and could be locked out if the driver preferred. It is interesting in that they advertised that when freewheeling was selected, the car transmission could be shifted between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd to 2nd without using the clutch (as long as the car was coasting with the freewheeling unit engaged). In looking through the literature, it was supposed to improve fuel economy by a quoted 12%, and quiet down the car, by allowing the engine to idle down when the car is coasting with the freewheel unit engaged.

In practice, with freewheeling being selectable, I use the conventional shift pattern when going through hilly areas, and let the freewheel operate when the road is level....it works out ok.

Happy Motoring

31Pierce43

1932 Packards (and other years I think) have a similar option. By turning a lever on the steering wheel a vacuum system is brought into play that literally sucks the clutch pedal to the floor any time you lift your foot from the accelerator. Drift up to a stop sign, change gears without touching the clutch, advance the accelerator and the clutch slowly engages. Works better in theory than in practice, apparently. Difficult to adjust properly. Wasn't freewheeling outlawed in about 1933?

Guest De Soto Frank

The Moore unit for Model T's - is this a period accessory or a modern unit that someone is retrofitting for the T ?

The Dual-matic "overdrive" that I had in my '61 Willys truck did not free-wheel; but it was also a manual upshift/downshift deal with a lever ( four stalks coming up from the floor!).

31Pierce43 has it right, I have the same, a 1931 Pierce Model 43 phaeton; it has a standard 3 speed/1 reverse transmission, with the addition of a button on top of the shift lever, which when depressed changes the transmission from a standard to a free wheeling. I do not believe that free wheeling was ever "outlawed" or illegal, but, at speed, it is somewhat scary. And as also noted, with some slight practice and attention to engine speed, this Pierce transmission allows shifting into second and third gear with no clutch. I still prefer using it in standard mode, engine braking is useful; as my father in law says, one controls the speed of a car with the accelerator, not the brake. As a side note, I have restored a few later Pierce cars, with the Stewart Warner power assist; great system, and in tip top shape it is wonderful, uses the momentum of the car (working off the rear of the transmission) to stop the car. With a little wear on the system, and moving at walking speeds, it will scare you and make you "stomp" the brake pedal. Look at a lot of the foot-shaped, aluminum cast, brake pedals on early to mid-30's Pierce Arrows, and then think about why they have a pronounced curve to them! As another side note, I recently pulled a 1936 Club Sedan out of a Rip Van Winkle sleep, over 50 years; this Pierce had a vacuum assist system for brakes ( Pierce never believed in hydraulics, just assisted brakes and lots of square inches of shoe and drum!); we got the car running, and the engine, transmission (with overdrive) and brakes were extraordinary; anyone out there see the rusty looking sedan drive onto the flea market at Hershey? Best comment: "doesn't look like it should run". Great cars, anyone looking for a '30's driver should look at Pierce Arrow. Happy motoring David Coco

• Like 1

The Chrysler Airflow used "Freewheeling" with Over Drive in all 3 gears.

For those who thought it was useless, go try it again on a long trip,

It's great!! Just don't froget to go back to direct drive whem going down

mountains!

We used it in 13 Great American Races for the long straight steady speed

runs making the Airflow a truely comfortable ride, even today. Our is a

1935 Chrysler but I think all Airflow's used it in all years, 1934-1937.

It's an option that has to be used wisely and is not for people who can't

notice chages in driving conditions and differing needs for performance.

• 5 years later...

Interesting to be responding to a six-year-old post, but here's some information that seems to have been missed:

Freewheeling is part of the Borg Warner overdrive units installed in Packards in the late 1930s through the 1940s (R-7, R-9 and R-11), and is essential in its operation. You couldn't have overdrive without the freewheeling. It was also part of the Borg Warner units used by Chrysler in the late 1930s and '40s as well. It does allow you to shift between gears without using the clutch. As mentioned, it's supposed to be more fuel efficient. Also, as mentioned, not recommended in hilly areas.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

In a nutshell:

In the beginning, the cog-box.

Later enter improved clutches, then synchronized gears for easier shifting.

Tweak the clutches with centrifugal counterweights to make shifting easier. Change gear ratios as driving speeds increase.

Add a freewheeling function to reduce engine braking.

Add overdrive to freewheeling, also eliminating the need to use the clutch between gears

Engineer a fluid bathed clutch (benefit?).

Make a hill-holder function to allow for easier launch on steep grade.

Consider electromatic clutch contraption so that people don't even need to press the clutch to shift from 1-2-3, nor to stop.

Enter fluid drive so that driver doesn't even need to shift.

Finally, enter a clunky automatic transmission that drives like a tank, is so inefficient the gas mileage is terrible.

Fast forward to 2001: Saturn L offered with either manual or automatic; however, mileage rating for automatic is higher than for manual. I'd still prefer the manual.

I think we have an outline for a story here.

Interesting to be responding to a six-year-old post, but here's some information that seems to have been missed:

Freewheeling is part of the Borg Warner overdrive units installed in Packards in the late 1930s through the 1940s (R-7, R-9 and R-11), and is essential in its operation. You couldn't have overdrive without the freewheeling. It was also part of the Borg Warner units used by Chrysler in the late 1930s and '40s as well. It does allow you to shift between gears without using the clutch. As mentioned, it's supposed to be more fuel efficient. Also, as mentioned, not recommended in hilly areas.

In addition to being in the overdrive units, it was also built into a number of non-overdrive freewheeling transmissions. My '33 Plymouth has a freewheeling transmission and does not have overdrive. In the case of my Plymouth it was intended to be used in conjunction with the vacuum actuated automatic clutch to make shifting easier (pre-automatic transmission days).

I believe that Studebaker was the first manufacturer to sell a freewheeling transmission.

My 32 Dodge also has Freewheeling engaged by a large knob in the center of the dash. It doesn't have the vacuum clutch (or it was removed at some point), but Phil Kennedy's original 32 DL still has all the mechanism intact.

My 1933 Graham also has FW without the overdrive. The owner’s manual states "no need for clutch after first gear" so I think the idea was easier driving with less skill needed. Only a few years earlier there were not synchronized gears avalable, so I could see the selling point. I have never used mine, knob next to the steering column (pull out to engage) too many hills by my house. I was told my Graham was originally purchased for his wife because of how easy it is to drive. My 1933 Graham is night and day easier to drive than my full classic 1929 Graham-Paige.

Graham offered FW 1931-33

• 1 month later...
Guest RDW1931Plymouth

When discussing freewheeling, it is important to specify the year and make of automobile involved since the term 'freewheeling' was used and misused to described a number of systems. I have a 1931 Plymouth with freewheeling which consists of mechanism between the transmission and the drive-shaft. When freewheeling is enabled, the drive-shaft is engaged when the engine is turning faster than the the drive-shaft. Otherwise, the car is coasting. This is the type of freewheeling used in some early Chrysler cars and also, I believe, in the Studebaker. I have read and I am reasonably sure that freewheeling was illegal in Pennsylvania and some other states due to its inherent danger in traffic and unexpected hazards.

My car also has a vacuum controlled spark retard (not spark advance). I believe the spark retard was used to enhance performance when accelerating after coasting in freewheeling, but I have not been able to find any confirmation on the subject. If anyone has information on the matter, I would appreciate it. Also, did other cars with freewheeling in the early thirties have a spark retard.

• 4 months later...
Guest brickyardboy
When discussing freewheeling, it is important to specify the year and make of automobile involved since the term 'freewheeling' was used and misused to described a number of systems. I have a 1931 Plymouth with freewheeling which consists of mechanism between the transmission and the drive-shaft. When freewheeling is enabled, the drive-shaft is engaged when the engine is turning faster than the the drive-shaft. Otherwise, the car is coasting. This is the type of freewheeling used in some early Chrysler cars and also, I believe, in the Studebaker. I have read and I am reasonably sure that freewheeling was illegal in Pennsylvania and some other states due to its inherent danger in traffic and unexpected hazards.

My car also has a vacuum controlled spark retard (not spark advance). I believe the spark retard was used to enhance performance when accelerating after coasting in freewheeling, but I have not been able to find any confirmation on the subject. If anyone has information on the matter, I would appreciate it. Also, did other cars with freewheeling in the early thirties have a spark retard.

So, would the physical appearance between the "overdrive" and "freewheeling" transmission be that the overdrive had an additional "gearbox" attached to the transmission, where the freewheeling transmission didn't have the extra gearbox?

Hupmobile had it right, called Super Drive. A push , pull knob on the dash. Pulled out a regular 3 speed transmission. Pushed in, free wheeling up two 35 miles an hr, let off the gass & engine speed is reduced 30%. Simple it cuts the engine from 3000 rpm to 2000 rpm. At this point it locks in and when you go under 35, it kicks out into free wheeling & you can shift to the forward gears with out using the clutch until you come to a complete stop. In Super Drive my 1936 8cyl gets 14 miles per gal. of fuel. And the over drive works in 2nd gear also. I only tried that once, the engine sounded too busy. When you shift into reverse the linkage takes it out of over drive, unless you pull the knob out first.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RDW1931Plymouth
So, would the physical appearance between the "overdrive" and "freewheeling" transmission be that the overdrive had an additional "gearbox" attached to the transmission, where the freewheeling transmission didn't have the extra gearbox?

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> The freewheeling mechanism is an additional device attached to the rear of gearbox, but it does not contain any drive gears and does not change the gear ratio of the transmission. The free-wheeling device is about 8 inches in diameter and about 4 inches from front to back. Freewheeling is an over-running clutch which operates in all forward gears but not in reverse. An article in the July 1931 Automobile Trade Journal describes the mechanism as follow: “Plymouth’s free-wheeling unit is of the roller clutch type, located and built in at the rear of the transmission. The control for the free-wheeling unit is located on the dash, from where the lock-out mechanism is operated through a Bowden wire. There are three sets of rollers each in the over-running clutch, located between an outer ring and inner unit, having three cam surfaces.”

The primary advantage of free-wheeling was the ability to shift gears without using the clutch except getting started in first gear. The disadvantage was the lack of engine braking when stopping. Since the most likely situation in which the driver would be shifting gears would be in traffic and the situation in which engine braking is most needed is also in traffic, free-wheeling was found to be of little advantage and could be dangerous in an emergency event, especially in first or second gear.

At a car show last month, I met a lady named Sarah who had read my previous note. She had just purchased a 1931 Plymouth. If you happen to read this message, please call me again and leave your phone number. For some reason, my phone did not record the phone number from your call.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

Guest RDW1931Plymouth
My 1949 Studebaker Champion had freewheeling.

I did not find useless - I found it helped my gas mileage.

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars - 1805-1942, Studebaker offered free-wheeling on some models from 1931 through at least 1935. By 1938 Studebaker offered overdrive on some models which would have given lower engine speed and better gas mileage at road speeds. I believe your car would have had overdrive, not free-wheeling.

According to the Standard Catalog of American Cars - 1946-1975, Studebaker offered overdrive for $91.55 on the Champion model and $97.85 on the Commander.

Well, not always. On the '32 Packard the freewheeling works via a vacuum cylinder that is coupled to the clutch pedal and literally sucks the clutch pedal to the floor when freewheeling is engaged and you take your foot off the accelerator. No difference whatsoever in the transmission.

The freewheeling mechanism is an additional device attached to the rear of gearbox, but it does not contain any drive gears and does not change the gear ratio of the transmission. The free-wheeling device is about 8 inches in diameter and about 4 inches from front to back. Freewheeling is an over-running clutch which operates in all forward gears but not in reverse. An article in the July 1931 Automobile Trade Journal describes the mechanism as follow: “Plymouth’s free-wheeling unit is of the roller clutch type, located and built in at the rear of the transmission. The control for the free-wheeling unit is located on the dash, from where the lock-out mechanism is operated through a Bowden wire. There are three sets of rollers each in the over-running clutch, located between an outer ring and inner unit, having three cam surfaces.”

The primary advantage of free-wheeling was the ability to shift gears without using the clutch except getting started in first gear. The disadvantage was the lack of engine braking when stopping. Since the most likely situation in which the driver would be shifting gears would be in traffic and the situation in which engine braking is most needed is also in traffic, free-wheeling was found to be of little advantage and could be dangerous in an emergency event, especially in first or second gear.

At a car show last month, I met a lady named Sarah who had read my previous note. She had just purchased a 1931 Plymouth. If you happen to read this message, please call me again and leave your phone number. For some reason, my phone did not record the phone number from your call.

Saab two-stroke models (Model 92 etc) employed free-wheeling because the engine wouldn't lubricate properly on decel, producing engine damage and seizures. It wasn't a big factor in drivability since two-strokes don't produce much engine braking anyway. When Saab switched to the V4 Ford Taunus engine (Model 96 etc) the same transaxle was used and the freewheeling function was retained. It was okay -- Saab owners embraced being different.

• 2 years later...

My 1933 Chevrolet has freewheeling that is operated via a knob on the dashboard that engages / disengages the system using shielded wire that runs down to the freewheeling unit.  

I would never use it either.  Freewheeling can be very dangerous going down hills or mountains since there is no engine resistance and you can overheat your brakes.  This is especially true on cars with mechanical brakes.

Think of it like bicycle pedals powering the rear wheel.  The pedals are the transmission output and the rear wheel is the differential / rear wheels, and when you pedal fast enough you go faster and when you are not pedaling fast enough relative to your speed or not at all you are coasting.

Hupp  Super drive. Start out in  low to   second to  third.  When  you reach  35  miles  mph in  3rd. Push the  lever on the  dash. This  locks in  the over  drive. I t  reduces the  rpm  by  30  %. If the  engine  was  at  3000 rpm,  it  reduces  to  2100. If you  reduce the  speed  back to  35 mph it  kicks  out into  free wheeling. You  may  shift  gears  without  using the  clutch. If you  come to a  complete  stop,  you  will  need to  use the  clutch. This  is  an  option on my  1936  Hupp model  N. If you  choose.  with  the  lever  pulled  out  it is  like  a  regular 3 speed  transmission.  Hupp  had  a   a  free wheeling  transmission  in  1931  0n  there  8  cyl  Model L.