"Animated fence post" --antique electric car?

PaulNC

I hope the attached picture appears, otherwise this will be a useless post . . . I am trying to identify the vehicle in this old photo. It seems to be an electric car from the first decade of the 20th century. As a child I had a model of this car which was labelled "Cadillac," but I'm dubious about it being an old Caddie.

Any help would be appreciated. This photo is from one of Floyd Clymer's books. He only refers to it as an "animated fence post."

Thanks,

Paul Thompson

post-51716-14313793107_thumb.jpg

The exact photo appears in "History of the Motor Car" by Marco Matteucci. The caption there reads:

"The Renault coupe, the first totally enclosed car in the world". In the book the Year is vague,

but it wasn't long after the beginning of Renault Co. on 30 March 1899. Text for the picture says:

".....a water-cooled 3-1/2 De Dion was used in the second Renault then being designed which was

to be the first completely enclosed car".

That's interesting. Do you think it's true? I'm no expert, but the vehicle doesn't look like it has a gasoline engine to me. That little snub-nosed hood seems more like the bonnet of an electric?

Curious,

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's interesting. Do you think it's true? I'm no expert, but the vehicle doesn't look like it has a gasoline engine to me. That little snub-nosed hood seems more like the bonnet of an electric?

Paul </div></div>

Under the bonnet is probably containers for fluids. The engine is more than likely under the car.