Driving Force Newsletter - April 2007

SEMA Action Network

Driving Force - April 2007

California Proposes to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15 Years Old and Older

Pre-?76 Vehicles Would Continue to Be Exempt From Smog Checks

Enthusiasts in California are rallying against legislation that has been introduced in the State Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones to require annual smog-check inspections for vehicles 15 years old and older. In addition, the bill would direct funds generated through the additional inspection fees to be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee for consideration.

The measure represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars for air-quality deficiencies. In 2004, despite objections from the vehicle hobby community, California repealed its rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replaced it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all ?76 and newer model-year vehicles.

?Under this year?s bill, pre-?76 vehicles would continue to be exempt from smog checks,? said Steve McDonald, SEMA vice president, government affairs. ?However, vehicles 15 years old and older?presently ?76??92?that are not currently exempt would move from a biennial test to annual tests with the clear intent of moving them into the scrappage program.?

Sponsors of the legislation ignore the fact that vehicles 15 years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction. Legislators are also ignoring the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well maintained and infrequently driven.

"Implementing an annual test would not only increase the vehicle owner?s cost, but it would also give the state more opportunities to lure these vehicles into retirement,? McDonald added.

Recently, San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution District released an updated smog plan that calls for scrapping 30,000 passenger cars, five times the number previously planned. Scrappage programs, widely rejected by other states as an ineffective means of cleaning the air, accelerate the normal demise of vehicles through the purchase of older cars which are then typically crushed into blocks of scrap metal.

?By virtue of these scrappage programs, the vehicle hobby risks the loss of potential collector cars and parts forever that could have been used in a project,? commented SAN Director Jason Tolleson.

===

LEGISLATIVE QUICK HITS

Arkansas Street Rods/Customs: SEMA-model legislation to amend the vehicle titling and registration classification for street rods and to create a classification for custom vehicles was approved by the Arkansas Legislature. The bill defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. Under the bill, kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model-year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.

Arkansas Historic Vehicles: SAN-opposed legislation that would amend the state?s current law governing historic or special-interest vehicles to require that these vehicles be 30 or more years old and pay a $25 registration fee has been introduced to the Arkansas House of Representatives. Under current Arkansas law, historic vehicles are only required to be 25 years old or older and owners are required to pay a $7 registration fee.

Illinois Inoperable Vehicles: A bill introduced in the Illinois House of Representatives would further restrict the ability of Illinois vehicle hobbyists from maintaining inoperable vehicles on private property. The SAN-opposed measure would redefine ?inoperable motor vehicles? to include vehicles incapable of being lawfully driven on state highways in full accordance with Illinois vehicle laws. The bill would also expand the definition of inoperable vehicles to include dismantled and unlicensed vehicles. Under current law, localities may authorize fines and disposal of inoperable vehicles on public and private property. The pending legislation would give local authorities an inordinate amount of power when determining the disposition of inoperable historic project cars. The bill would make it virtually impossible for Illinois hobbyists to maintain inoperable collector vehicles on private property. This demonstrates a clear disregard and lack of understanding of the vehicle hobby and the rights of hobbyists. The measure makes no legal distinction between an owner using private property as a dumping ground and a vehicle enthusiast working to maintain, restore or construct a vehicle.

Iowa Antique Use: SAN-supported legislation that would amend the state?s current law governing antique motor vehicles to permit their occasional use for up to 1,000 miles per year has been approved by the Iowa Senate Transportation Committee. Under current law, the use of antique vehicles is strictly limited to exhibitions or educational purposes. The proposed legislation would provide Iowa citizens the opportunity to enjoy occasional recreational driving, in addition to the other sanctioned uses.

Iowa High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps: In what could be the state?s first step towards limiting lighting options for motor-vehicle owners, SAN-opposed legislation that would prohibit the operation of motor vehicles equipped with HID headlamps has been introduced in the Iowa State Legislature. The bill would subject vehicle owners to a $20 fine. The bill has been referred to the House Transportation Committee for consideration. Sponsors of the measure ignore the fact that HID headlamps that meet applicable photometry standards are not prohibited by Federal law and should not be restricted in Iowa. The proposed bill would require owners of vehicles currently equipped with HID headlamps (including those purchased with equipment from a dealership) to remove these lamps.

Kentucky Inoperable: A bill was approved by the Kentucky House Local Government Committee, that would overturn existing hobbyist protections for inoperable vehicles, including parts cars that are stored out of ordinary public view on private property. The existing law, which was established in 2005 and is now threatened, is based on SEMA-model legislation and was enacted with the support of the hobbyist community in Kentucky. Unfortunately, the new bill would reverse the existing law and allow local governments to impose more restrictive standards against project cars. The bill would override safeguards provided for in the current law that allow hobbyists to work on collector vehicles on private property and would allow local governments to impose more restrictive standards against project cars. It would also override reasonable provisions enacted in 2005 that vehicles be located out of ordinary public view by means of suitable fencing, trees, shrubbery, etc.

Maryland 25-Year Exemption: A bill has been introduced to the Maryland House of Delegates to exempt vehicles more than 25 years old from the state?s mandatory biennial emissions inspection and maintenance program. Existing law in Maryland only exempts vehicles manufactured before the ?77 model year from emissions inspection. The SAN-supported bill provides for a rolling emissions-inspection exemption that would exempt qualifying vehicles upon enactment and would pick up an additional model year for each year the law is in effect. The proposed bill recognizes that such vehicles constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are well maintained and infrequently operated, and it also acknowledges the relatively minimal environmental impact of these older vehicles.

Maryland/Connecticut Tires: The SAN is opposing legislation in Connecticut and Maryland that would require the development of statewide programs to mandate that replacement tires for passenger cars meet fuel-efficiency standards. The SAN recommended that the bills be rejected since these types of replacement tire-efficiency programs conflict with federal law, are anti-consumer and anti-small business and would require a substantial appropriation by the legislature.

Massachusetts Exhaust Noise: After being stalled for the last several years, a bill to ban the sale or installation of ?an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust? has been reintroduced in Massachusetts. As in the previous version, the bill?s sponsor is attempting to divide the hobby on this issue by excluding limited-use ?antique motor cars? from the proposed ban. Under current Massachusetts law, ?antique motor cars? are defined as those vehicles over 25 years old which are used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, etc. The proposed measure does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation. The bill fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc. and would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better-performing options.

Minnesota Racetracks: SAN-legislation that would increase the number of facilities that would qualify for an exemption from civil lawsuits based on racetrack noise has been introduced to the Minnesota Legislature. Under the bill, racetracks that were in operation on or before July 1, 1996, would qualify for the exemption but would still be subject to regulation by local government. The proposed measure would allow all Minnesota tracks to benefit from the same exemptions and would continue to allow local governments to control the regulation of noise.

Minnesota Off-Road: Legislation that would limit modified 4x4 trucks to minimally maintained roads and to the area specifically designated for their use has been reintroduced to the Minnesota Legislature. The SAN-opposed measure would severely restrict 4x4 truck access to Minnesota hobbyists by prohibiting use of ?trails,? including those designated south of Highway 2 and those north of Highway 2 that are currently open for off-road use. The proposed bill also defines 4x4 trucks as four-wheeled motor vehicles manufactured to operate on public roads and subsequently modified with special tires, suspension or other equipment. Montana Exhaust Noise: SAN-sponsored legislation has been introduced in Montana to permit vehicles with modified exhaust systems that do not emit an excess of 95 decibels as measured by SAE test standard J1169. Under the SAE standard, a sound meter is placed 20 inches from the exhaust outlet at a 45-degree angle, and the engine is revved to three-quarters of the maximum rated horsepower. The highest decibel reading is then recorded. The SAN has been successful in enacting the 95-decibel limit in California, Washington state and Maine.

West Virginia Expanded Use: Legislation that would amend the state?s current law governing antique motor vehicles to permit their use for ?occasional recreational driving? has been introduced to the West Virginia House of Representatives. Under current West Virginia law, use of antique vehicles is strictly limited to club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, testing, obtaining repairs and for recreational purposes only on Friday evenings, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. The SAN-supported measure will provide West Virginia citizens the opportunity to enjoy recreational driving on weekdays in addition to the other sanctioned uses. The bill also provides added incentive to owners of qualifying antique vehicles (more than 25 years old) to register as ?antique? thereby reducing registration fees. Currently, antique vehicles in West Virginia are only required to pay a $2 annual registration fee.

Wyoming Street Rods/Customs: Prior to the Legislature?s adjournment, SEMA-model legislation to create vehicle titling and registration classifications for street rods and custom vehicles has been approved by the full Wyoming House of Representatives and the Senate Transportation Committee. Unfortunately, the bill was not considered by the full Senate and will have to be reintroduced in 2008. The bill defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. Under the measure, kit cars and replica vehicles will be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model-year designation as the production vehicle they most closely resemble.

===

Caucus Corner

Each month Driving Force will feature members of the State Automotive Enthusiast Leadership Caucus. The SEMA-supported caucus is a bipartisan group of state lawmakers whose common thread is a love and appreciation for automobiles.

Here are its newest members:

Arizona

Representative Nancy McLain

Georgia

Senator Chip Rogers

Iowa

Senator Jeff Danielson

Representative Dave Deyoe

Kansas

Representative Doug Gatewood

Representative Mario Goico

Representative Terry McLachlan

Representative Michael Peterson

Representative Don Schroeder

Representative Bill Wolf

Kentucky

Representative Reginald Meeks

Mississippi

Senator Hillman Frazier

Montana

Representative Jill Cohenour

Representative Gordon Hendrick

Representative Bill Nooney

Representative Wayne Stahl

New Mexico

Representative Nathan Cote

New York

Assemblymember Jim Bacalles

Assemblymember Daniel Burling

Assemblymember Peter Lopez

Assemblymember David McDonough

Assemblymember Bob Oaks

Assemblymember Joseph Saladino

Assemblymember Teresa Sayward

Assemblymember Mark Schroeder

Assemblymember Dave Townsend

Pennsylvania

Representative Scott Conklin

Representative Patrick Harkins

Representative Scott Perry

Utah

Senator Howard Stephenson

Representative Gage Froerer

Representative Neal Hendrickson

Representative Patrick Painter

Representative Stephen Sandstrom

Click here for a complete of Caucus members.

===

Hey, That?s My Car!

?Elky?

A Hot Rod With a Little Pickup

1964 Chevrolet El Camino

Owner: Al Judd

Durham, North Carolina

About 10 years ago I saw an ad in the paper for a ?64 Chevrolet El Camino that the owner gave up on restoring. It was completely disassembled and sand-blasted, and it had no engine. That night, I thought to myself, my current Datsun pickup has more than 150,000 miles, and I want both a truck AND a hot rod?how about a pickup and hot rod all-in-one? And that was the beginning of ?Elky.?

It took three truckloads of parts and a rollback to get the El Camino home. What I had originally planned as a one-year project ended up being three.

Overall it was a great experience, and I am glad that I went through with it. This is something I have always wanted to do?rebuild and modify a car from the ground up. I can say I have personally installed almost every bolt on the vehicle. It has also been a great way to work with my son Clayton, as we both learned about mechanical work and bodywork. It has been some good bonding time. He may have also learned a few cuss words along the way. Not to kid myself, I learned a lot about car repair and bodywork too by working to bring the car back to life. It was better than any auto-repair course I could have taken. In the end, Elky came out just fine for a couple of beginners.

SPECS

UNDER THE HOOD: Chevy 327 small block, Tremec 3550 five-speed transmission and Centerline clutch.

OUTSIDE: Dupont Bright Tangerine paint with Minilite gray powdercoated wheels on BFG rubber. Front and rear sway bars, disc-brake conversion, and a complete polygraphite suspension kit.

INSIDE: Dual bucket seats, redone gauges, CD/stereo sound system, custom upholstery with Chevrolet logos.

===

Youth Spotlight

Taking Reading on the Road

Kristen Thomas

Greer, South Carolina

While most kids get a car at 16, I chose to build my own. My parents? gift was a model car, catalogs for parts and a trip to YearOne. After a little bit of searching to find something within my budget, my dad and I tracked down a ?77 Pontiac Trans Am that had been sitting for a few years. With birthday money and a summer job, I was able to get the car. We took inventory of the parts that needed to be completed, and then we went to work.

In the meantime, I also participated in and won a local Miss America Outstanding Teen preliminary. While developing a platform for the statewide competition, I decided that I would share my love of cars with the importance of education. In doing so, and with the help of my parents, we are planning the Knowledge Is Power Tour.

This four-day cruise will kick off in Greer, South Carolina on Thursday, April 26 and wind its way through Aiken, Columbia and Charleston and wrap up in Myrtle Beach on Sunday, April 29. The event will benefit education in South Carolina as books will be donated to schools in each city. In taking this message to Governor Mark Sanford, he declared Friday, April 27 as the ?Knowledge Is Power Day? in South Carolina. To help promote my love for the hobby, I will be distributing SEMA Action Network brochures and Take a Kid to a Car Show stickers.

I?m really looking forward to unveiling my car as one of the participants. I?ll turn 17 right before the tour and can drive the whole event myself! All I need now is to find a way to have my snowflake wheels refurbished, a set of tires and a paint job and I?ll be ready to roll.

For more information on the Knowledge Is Power Tour, call 864/879-6646 or e-mail event organizers at thomasmoto@aol.com.

===

Club Spotlight

Annual Legislative Conference to Convene in Sacramento

Formed in 1972, the Association of California Car Clubs (ACCC) consists of thousands of automobile hobbyists throughout the state who are interested in California laws and policies regarding collector automobiles. It is a volunteer organization of regional representatives who keep member clubs, individuals and business members across the state informed of issues that impact the hobby.

To ensure that their message is heard by state officials, ACCC holds a Legislative Conference each year in Sacramento at the Towe Automobile Museum. This conference allows automotive hobbyists to discuss challenges and mutual issues directly with various California officials.

ACCC Annual Legislative Conference, Sacramento

May 9: A car show on the West steps of the Capitol building. The show will include vehicles from early 1900s up to the present.

May 10?11: Briefings at the Towe Automobile Museum from various California officials.

Information: www.acccdefender.org or 916/276-4081.

Editor?s note: Please send your Club Spotlight stories and photos to the SAN at jasont@sema.org.

===

APRIL 2007 SAN CLUB EVENTS

ARIZONA

April 27?29, Payson

14th Annual BeeLine Cruise-In Car Show

Sponsor: Rim Country Classic Auto Club

Information: rccac2007@yahoo.com

CALIFORNIA

April 22, Buena Park (Knott?s Berry Farm)

22nd Annual Fabulous Fords Forever

Information: www.fordcarclubs.org

April 28?29, Buena Park

(Knott?s Berry Farm) 28th Annual Handcrafted Auto Show

Sponsor: Association of Handcrafted Automobiles

Information: www.replicarclub.com or 818/597-8797

April 27?29, Bakersfield

Western Street Rod Nationals

Sponsor: NSRA

Information: www.nsra-usa.com or 901/452-4030

April 27?29, Yosemite

CCRG Jamboree

Sponsor: Blossom Trail A?s of Reedley

Information: mwall@inreach.com or 559/638-4746

April 29, Los Angeles

Spring ?Fun? Car Show

Sponsor: Coastal Valleys CHVA

Information: Larry Bauman at 818/767-1857

CONNECTICUT

April 15, Stafford

Ty-Rods of CT 21st Annual Spring Swap Meet

Sponsor: Ty-Rods Auto Club

Information: 860/649-3697

FLORIDA

April 14, Cocoa

?Celebration of Cars? Antique Auto Show

Sponsor: Cape Canaveral Region AACA

Information: 321/459-9950

April 20?22, Jacksonville

9th Spring Nationals

Information: www.good-guys.com or 925/838-9876

GEORGIA

April 7, Marietta

8th Annual Charity Car Show

Sponsor: Community Charity Concepts

Information: wayne@thedodds.com or 770/944-7433

April 21?22, Conyers

10th Annual Horsepower at the Park

Information: www.horsepoweratthepark.com or 678/957-6749

April 28, Atlanta Motor Speedway

5th Annual Landmark Mopar Southern Classic

Sponsor: Northern Georgia Mopar Club

Information: 2007moparshow@mindspring.com or 770/401-6542

ILLINOIS

April 7, East Peoria

Nostalgic Indoor Auto Show

Sponsor: Early Ford V8 Club of Peoria

Information: jshaven@mtco.com or 309/367-2981

April 15, Elmhurst

24th Annual Car Show

and Swap Meet

Sponsor: Northern Illinois Region, WPC Club

Information: 630/721-0662

IOWA

April 14?15, Cedar Rapids

Swap Meet

Sponsor: Hawk A Region Model A Club

Information: 319/378-3873

KENTUCKY

April 26?28, Bowling Green

Official C5/C6 Bash

Information: www.corvettemuseum.com or 800/53-VETTE

April 29, Louisville

13th Annual NSRA Kentucky

Appreciation Day

Sponsor: National Street Rod Association

Information: www.okolonastreetrods.com or 502/937-9781

MASSACHUSETTS

April 23, Fitchburg

37th Annual V8 Spring

Tune-up Car Show

Sponsor: New England Region

Early Ford V8 Club

Information: v8pasttimesnewsletter@yahoo.com

MINNESOTA

April 14?15, St. Paul

51st Annual Rod and Custom Spectacular Show

Sponsor: Annual Gopher State Timing Association

Information: www.gstarod-custom.com or 763/566-3990

MISSISSIPPI

April 14, Amory

Railroad Festival Car and Truck Show

Sponsor: Tenn-Tom Cruisers

Information: laneygarage@traceroad.net or 662/256-9320

MISSOURI

April 29, UMB Bank Pavilion

39th Annual Swap Meet

Sponsor: Model T Ford Club of St. Louis

Information: 314/830-0873

NEW MEXICO

April 14, Alamogordo

Swap Meet and Car Corral

Sponsor: Golden Gears Car Club

Information: 505/434-0200

April 28, Rio Rancho

Park ?n the Park Car Show

Sponsor: Car Shows Unlimited

Information: 505/891-4737

NEW YORK

April 29, Floral Park

29th Annual Queens Farmhouse Meet Auto Show

Sponsor: Greater New York Region AACA

Information: 718/843-3490

NORTH CAROLINA

April 12?15, Charlotte

(Lowe?s Motor Speedway)

Charlotte Auto Fair

Information: www.charlotte-autofair.com or 704/841-1990

NORTH DAKOTA

April 14?15, Grand Forks

24th Annual Prime Steel Car Show

Sponsor: Prime Steel Car Club

Information: 218/965-4886

OHIO

April 19?21, Cleveland

Spring Meet

Sponsor: Durant Motors Automobile Club

Information: www.durantmotors.org

April 27?29, Canfield

Dave & Ed?s Swap Meet

Sponsor: Let?s Go Cruisin?

Information: 330/477-8506

OKLAHOMA

April 13?15, Oklahoma City

Southwest Street Rod Nationals

PENNSYLVANIA

April 18?22, Carlisle

Spring Carlisle Collector Car Swap Meet & Corral

Sponsor: Carlisle Productions

Information: www.carlisleevents.com or 717/243-7855

SOUTH CAROLINA

April 4, Rock Hill

1st Annual Catawba River Rod Run

Sponsor: Dixieland Cruisers of Rock Hill

Information: 803/417-4990

April 21, Columbia

8th Annual Car Show

Sponsor: Columbia Classic Chevy Club

Information: 803/356-2784

April 26?29

South Carolina ?Knowledge Is Power? Tour

Information: thomasmoto@aol.com or 864/879-6646

TENNESSEE

April 20?22, Memphis

27th Annual Super Chevy Tour

Information: www.superchevyshow.com

TEXAS

April 21, Boerne

15th Annual Open Car Show

Sponsor: Texas Corvette Association

Information: www.texas-corvette-association.org or 830/226-5386

VERMONT

April 29, Enosburg Falls

Dust-Off Cruise

Sponsor: Champlain Valley Classic Cruisers

Information: 518/563-8662

VIRGINIA

April 21, Richmond

22nd Early Bird Rod Run

Sponsor: Virginia Street Rods Inc.

Information: www.virginiastreetrods.org

April 27?30, Williamsburg

Spring Meet

Sponsor: Durant Motors Automobile Club

Information: www.durantmotors.org or 919/989-9603

WISCONSIN

April 28?29, Jefferson

30th Annual Spring Jefferson Swap, Sale & Show

Sponsor: Madison Classics

Information: www.madisonclassics.com or 608/244-8416

WASHINGTON

April 22, Burlington

JJ?s April Showers Show & Shine

Sponsor: Whatcom County Driver?s Club

Information: 360/856-1224

Check out these early May 2007 events

CALIFORNIA

May 4?6, Riverside

Show and Go 2007

Information: www.showandgo.us or 951/780-4055

ILLINOIS

May 6, Grayslake

42nd Annual Grayslake Auto Show

Sponsor: Waukegan & North Shore Chapters AACA

Information: www.aaca.org/illinois or 708/485-3633

MARYLAND

May 6, Havre De Grace

5th Annual All GM Show

Sponsor: Maryland Chevelle Club

Information: www.chevelles.net/mcc or 410/612-0173

MINNESOTA

May 6, Minneapolis/St. Paul

20th Annual Spring Extravaganza Car Show & Swap Meet

Sponsor: Gopher State Chapter Buick Club

Information: d3mnstpaul@aol.com

MISSOURI

May 5?6, Springfield

10th Annual O?Reilly Auto Parts

4-Wheel Jamboree Nationals

Information: www.familyevents.com or 317/236-6522

PENNSYLVANIA

May 4?6, Carlisle

Carlisle Performance and Style 2007

Sponsor: Carlisle Productions

Information: www.carlisleevents.com or 717/243-7855

TENNESSEE

May 4?6, Knoxville

Street Rod Nationals South

===

NEWLY INTRODUCED LEGISLATION

Note: The following state bills are not laws. They were recently introduced and are currently under consideration by the respective state legislatures:

ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM VEHICLES

California AB 462: Allows an owner of a vehicle that is a ?69 model year or older or the owner of a commercial vehicle or pickup ?72 model year or older to use model-year license plates.

Idaho HB 187: Defines a replica vehicle as one made to replicate any passenger car or truck previously manufactured, using metal, fiberglass or other composite materials. Replica vehicles must look like the original vehicle but may use a more modern drivetrain. Also requires owners of specially constructed vehicles to certify that the vehicle meets federal standards and all requirements of Idaho law.

Kentucky HB 336: Limits inspection on historic vehicles brought into the state to verification of the VIN number with supporting documentation for titling purposes.

Kentucky HB 381: Allows the display of historic plates or reproductions on historic vehicles.

Maine SB 233: Allows the operation of a ?modified show vehicle? on public roads to participate in a show, an off-road competition or a racing event. Also creates a limited inspection for such vehicles.

Maryland SB 940: Creates a ?show-class vehicle? registration category. A show-class vehicle has decorative features or alterations and is used primarily for transportation to and from shows, to repair facilities, and for parades or holiday/weekend activities. These vehicles are limited to 5,000 miles per year or less and are exempt from inspections, emissions and sound-level limits.

Minnesota SB 1124: Changes collector vehicle and classic license provisions to create a plate fee and eliminate requirement for two license plates.

New Hampshire HB 659: Exempts vehicles manufactured prior to 1941 from equipment and inspection requirements if the vehicles are equipped as manufactured or within OEM specifications.

Tennessee SB 1013/HB 1088: Increases penalty for violating antique vehicle registration laws from a five-year bar to a 10-year bar from holding an antique registration.

Tennessee SB 1486/HB 2115: Requires department of revenue to permit the registration of antique motor vehicle?s vintage license plates instead of current license plates.

CLEAN?FUEL/HYBRID VEHICLES

Maryland SB 776: Provides income-tax credit for purchase of qualifying hybrid vehicles.

Mississippi HB 1731: Provides income-tax credit for purchase of hybrid electric vehicles without intent to resell.

New York AB 4281: Allows tax credits for the purchase of qualified hybrid vehicles.

New York AB 5798: Creates tax credits for flex fuel and hybrid vehicles.

Pennsylvania HB 309/HB 564: Exempts hybrids and electric vehicles from periodic inspection requirements.

EMISSIONS/INSPECTIONS

California AB 255: Increases statewide smog abatement fee from $12 to $16.

California SB 240: Authorizes the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air District to increase motor vehicle fees by not more than $30 under certain circumstances.

California AB 1488: Creates a two-year pilot program to integrate lightweight diesel vehicles into the smog-check program.

Illinois HB 3424: Establishes a Clean Car Program for vehicles of 2011 model year and after creating new motor-vehicle emission standards and compliance requirements.

Illinois HB 3432: Adopts new emissions standards for new vehicles 2009 and later, creates a vehicle and engine certification program and prohibits the sale and registration of certain vehicles that fail to meet these emissions standards.

Maryland HB 1276: Creates task force to study the establishment of annual motor vehicle safety inspections.

Minnesota HB 639: Enacts initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles by 30% by the year 2030.

Minnesota HB 863: Requires adoption of California standards regarding low-emissions vehicles. Updates standards to meet Clean Air Act requirements.

North Carolina HB 69: Changes safety and emissions inspections from annual to every two years.

Texas SB 12: Changes the low-income vehicle-repair assistance, retrofit and accelerated-vehicle retirement program to prohibit sale of vehicle engines and emissions equipment once a vehicle is retired.

Texas HB 1072: Sets eligibility requirements for low-income vehicle-repair assistance, retrofit and accelerated-vehicle retirement program.

EQUIPMENT

Illinois HB 656: Allows people cited for equipment violations to avoid conviction if they produce evidence in court to prove the vehicle has been repaired or brought into compliance.

New Mexico HB 176: Requires trucks and SUVs to be equipped with mudguard flaps.

New York AB 5167: Prohibits operating a motor vehicle while impaired by visual display. Prohibits the installation of TVs and monitors in a vehicle where they can be viewed by the driver.

Tennessee HB 275/HB 325/SB 497: Prohibits operating a motor vehicle with a television receiver, video screen, etc. with the screen in view of the driver. Exceptions for information displays, GPS and visual enhancement for driver?s view.

EXHAUST

Illinois SB 459: Prohibits vehicle impoundment solely on the basis of an exhaust-noise violation.

Maine HB 492 / HB 493: Removes the ?excessive and unusual noise? prohibition from exhaust law, changes window-tint standards, changes wheel requirements for street rods/custom vehicles/trucks to exempt them from OEM requirements.

New York AB 1732: Requires inspection of exhaust to ensure there are no leaks that allow carbon monoxide to enter into the passenger compartment over a certain level.

LIGHTING

Connecticut HB 6116: Requires a vehicle?s lights to be tested during a vehicle-emissions inspection.

Massachusetts HB 3629: Prohibits non-flashing, oscillating or rotating blue lights and oscillating or rotating red lights on motor vehicles.

New York SB 2157/AB 4140: Requires records to be kept regarding use of salvage high-intensity headlamps (HID) lights including what vehicle they were taken from and the identification of the owner of each vehicle involved.

New York SB 1272/AB 5512: Authorizes insurance premium reductions for vehicles equipped with retrofitted daytime running lamps.

Texas HB 1975: Prohibits operation of a vehicle equipped with a blue light, other than an emergency vehicle.

MISCELLANEOUS

New Jersey SB 2553: Creates the Motor Vehicle Owners? Right to Repair Act.

New York AB 4248: Creates penalties for forgery, removal, defacing and destruction of Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) on frames, engines, transmissions and other vehicle parts.

New York AB 5817: Requires automobile manufacturers release vehicle repair information to vehicle owners.

Rhode Island HB 6014/SB 783: Changes penalties for ?street racing? to include forfeiture/impoundment of vehicle, loss of license and prison sentences.

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLES (OHV)

California AB 744: Allows a qualified off-highway motor vehicle to be operated upon a highway that has no more than two lanes.

New York AB 5099: Designates off-highway-vehicle operations as an inherent risk activity and limits the liability of landowners, lessees, etc. from action in resulting injuries.

TIRES

New York AB 4687: Requires date of manufacture to be imprinted on tires. Exceptions for certain tires.

VEHICLE HEIGHT

Hawaii SB 1513: Changes minimum headlamp height requirement from 24 inches to 22 inches and deletes license-plate height requirement of no lower than 12 inches above the ground.

WINDOW TINTING

Washington HB 2208: Creates a misdemeanor penalty for a person or business tinting windows for profit to install film sunscreening or coloring material in violation of this act.