1937 C17 FS

Guest BJM

I will ikely be going to an auction in rural Nebraska on April 05. They have listed a 1937 C17 parts car and they have a photo of it. It looks like it is on the ground. I have no idea about what it has (drivetrain, etc.)

I tried calling the number given yesterday and got an answering machine. Please understand they are probably not interested in parting out the cars, they are selling them whole in the auction.

Guest scully6670

I need horn hole covers for my 36 C-10 are the C-17's the same as the C-10? and would you check to see if they are in good shape on this parts car?

• 1 month later...
Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Scully 6670,

The C10 horn grilles are not the same as those on a C17. they are however the same as those on a C9

Regards

John Spinks

Aussie C9 Airflow coupe

Guest BJM

I did not go tot he auction so I am not positive. I will try contacting the auction house and seeing if they will tell me. IF it was really rough, then maybe no one wanted to haul it away or it only bid so high, not sure.

Guest BJM

That's bizarre. I usually don't search for Airflow items anymore, but I'll check for awhile. Was this someone trying to "flip it" real fast and make a quick buck? Or did it appear to be the auction house that sponsored the auction?

From what I could tell, it looked like a private resale deal to me. I see now that the listing is old enough that a 'completed items' search is not enough to bring it up, and I no longer have it bookmarked.

The seller was located in Nebraska, and as I recall the top bid at auction close was $300, reserve not met. Maybe a check with the auction company would identify the buyer? (Not sure how they handle that sort of request.)

Guest BJM

i clicked on the specific link to the farm auction and it came back a no hit. I guess all we can do (including me) is monitor 1937 Chrysler Airflow on ebay for awhile. The auction site only had one front clip photo of it. It would be neat to see the rest, but it looked in bad shape from just the photo. Still, a 37 long wheelbase Airflow. I'v been chasing a project level car for years now.

It's a nickel bet, but I PM'd you the contact info for the auction house that sold this car. (Didn't feel right posting the guy's phone number out front, there seem to be so many robot-crawler apps that scan the web for who knows what mischief.)

It was on eBay about a month ago. I recognized the car from the pictures on the Nebraska auction site. The eBay description had the guy's phone number and I called him. We talked for a few minutes. He's not an Airflow afficionado. He went to the auction and saw the Airflow. He knew that it was a rare car and bought it to resell. From what I can tell, his reserve was above $1500. The car, in the pictures, was not restorable. It had very few useable parts left over. I told him that he'd be better off parting it out. I obtained his email address and emailed him my "want list". This was on April 14. He has yet to respond.

Ilya

Perhaps after it sits awhile taking up space...he will part it out. It's sad but perhaps if it can yield some parts to save other C17's that a good thing.