In need of restoration

WreckRescue

I am looking for beaten up, run down classic cars that have the potential to be really stunning. Do you own a classic that is in desperate need of restoration? Does your car have a fascinating story behind it or are you looking to get it fixed up for a special event? Do you know of any amazing barn finds or interesting car hoarders that could do with a little shake up? Whatever your story I would really like to hear from you, please get in touch by emailing classiccars@northonetv.com.

Cheers!

Guest gecco

I know some will argue about the "classic" part of this (and this one's not a Buick), but we have a 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ that was my mother-in-law's only car ever. She only got her license in 1982 out of necessity, when she was about 50 years old. Shortly after, my father-in-law bought her this car brand new. She loved it and it was the only car she ever drove. She was a beautiful, active lady, and everyone identified her with this car. In 1997, she passed away after a horrible fight with cancer, and the car sat absolutely untouched in my in-law's garage for the next 9 years. Our only child, our 4 year old daughter, who we named after my mother-in-law, asked about the car in grandpa's garage last year (she is a car nut from birth) and we talked about how great it would be for her to have that car someday. So on her 4th birthday, much to our surprise, my father-in-law drove it to our house and gave it to her!

I did not know at the time how advanced the body had rotted and the engine definitely needs attention. Compounding the problem, I have found that body panels and other pieces are not even available from GM. Obviously, my daughter does not need the car for quite a few years, and financially, it will be a large personal undertaking. But, to have it restored would not only preserve the car for my daughter, it would bring absolute joy to my wife, her siblings, and I am sure a feeling of reassurance and peace to my father-in-law. My mother-in-law was, and in many ways remains, the patriarch of the family. I know in everyone's heart that preserving this car means preserving her memory. And knowing the car will be there for my daughter is the most rewarding feeling of all.

Not necessarily an inspiring car by most definitions, but I think an inspiring story.