carburator

Guest Rmuskat

Guest Rmuskat

I am looking for a Stromberg DXR-3 carb for my '32 CP-8. Does anyone have one or know someone that does? Thanks.

Unless you are building an absolute "numbers matching" showcar or museum car that won't be driven, the carburetor you have now is probably a much better unit.

Most of the D-series Strombergs were removed and replaced with E-series Strombergs (or other make carburetors) in the early 1930's and thrown away. They are extremely scarce today, and quite expensive when found, plus restoration of the D-series Stromberg REQUIRES special tools, none of which have been available for 70 years, and must be fabricated.

If you wish more explanation, give me a call; and no, we do NOT have any of the DXR-3's for sale.

Jon.

Guest Rmuskat

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that the Stromberg carb was replaced by a carter carb in the early 30's. However, I am planning to bring my car to the Grand Nationals in Kalamazoo in July, and I was hoping to have a Stromberg to put on it. I just came back from Chickasha swap meet and was unsuccessful in trying to find one there.

As you pointed out, the Carter that I am using on the car now, does work fine and I will continue to use it.

Thanks.

Richard

Richard - since that is your goal, I will offer the following information:

There were three O.E. DXR-3 carburetors; the 1931 CD Chrysler, the 1932 CP Chrysler, and the 1932 DK Dodge. The calibrations of the CD and the DK are similiar; the calibration of the CP is totally different. The CD and DK carbs could be re-machined, if this is what you find. The re-machining shouldn't make any difference in time or cost to the restoration; as these parts will have to be fabricated regardless of which DXR-3 you find (even if you found one which was N.O.S.).

I doubt seriously that one could be restored between now and July if you had one in hand.

Jon.

Guest Rmuskat

Thank you Jon.

You are the only person that I have been able to find that knows anything about the DRX-3. I really appreciate the infomation. I think that I will probably give up on my search.

Richard.

Richard - NEVER GIVE UP!!! Just adjust your goals to have no deadline. And I would suggest if you do find a DXR-3 to NOT restore it. Do an external clean-up, and simply have the carb to show what was original, not to attempt to make it function.

Good luck.

Jon.

• 2 months later...

I agree, never give up. I have two DX-3 carbs. One is a newly rebuilt and the other is a good carb that I was able to find a rebuild kit for. I did have a third one, it turned out to be junk and the man I bought it from took it back (an honest man) My cars have Carter carbs on them. I knew these were rare, I just didn't know how rare. There was a NOS DX-3 carb in New Jersey that was offered to me several years ago for $750. So, never give up.

I agree, never give up. I have two DX-3 carbs. One is a newly rebuilt and the other is a good carb that I was able to find a rebuild kit for. I did have a third one, it turned out to be junk and the man I bought it from took it back (an honest man) My cars have Carter carbs on them. I knew these were rare, I just didn't know how rare. There was a NOS DX-3 carb in New Jersey that was offered to me several years ago for $750. So, never give up.

Guest De Soto Frank

I wonder if you could swap your Carter for a non-functioning-but-correct S-berg once you're on the show field, then swap-back when it's time to go home?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rmuskat

Hello Tim.

I have seen a DX-3 at a swap meet once. It was not in very good condition and I did not know what the differences are between a "DXR-3 and a DX-3" are. Do you know any differences?

Thanks,

Richard.

• 5 years later...
Guest JRopp

I have a Stromberg DXR-3 if you are still interested. It is missing a screw that hold the top half on and the "R" in DXR has been ground off and then stamped back on for who knows what reason, but none the less it looks to be complete, and both throtle and choke move freely. Let know know if I can help.

JRopp

Roppshop@aol.com

• 2 months later...
Guest WallyScott

The carburetor that came with our 1930 Chrysler 66 is brass and the only ID on it is a stamped 3 on the mounting flange - can anyone ID it for me please - Wally