Nixon Edsel Citation!

Greetings,

About 15 years ago, I learned of some 8x10 press photos in the Richard Nixon Presidential Library in Yorba Linda, CA. Not just any old pix, but images of then-Vice President Nixon in a 1958 Edsel Citation Convertible in a parade during a South American Goodwill Tour. I had to pay for negatives to be created for two of the photos, so prints could be made, which I then purchased.

No more than a handful of people are aware of these fantastic pix, so I'm posting this first one to gauge if there's an audience out there who may want their own copy (from the Library). The Edsel Forum seemed the logical place to start...but I believe <span style="font-style: italic">all</span> history lovers might want, even <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> them. What a conversation piece for your Rumpus Room!

28755Nixon_and_58_Edsel_X-med.jpg

And forget about the "Nixon & Elvis Handshake" photo,

this (and the other one) are the real <span style="font-style: italic">Money Shots!</span>

TG

435461-57BuickStonehenge2.jpg

Source: Richard Nixon Library & Birthplace, Yorba Linda, CA.

(The originals from the negatives are extremely crisp, and

more than worth the nominal fee the Library would charge)

<span style="font-style: italic">This just in</span>...similar images are available and have been for some time...

just not the ones from the Nixon Library. Compare the attachment with photo above...

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest 39Super8

This is a great picture! A fellow by the name of Jake Gilmore, as well as other vendors, sell these on a regular basis on ebay. You might do ok, but they have been avaliable for quite a while.

This isn't about <span style="font-style: italic">me</span> doing okay, it's about property of the Nixon Library being distributed to folks who might want it. Did you notice the "Source" for this image?

Sadly, it's all about the "Benjamins" in the day of "these internets". It wasn't that way when I paid for the negatives for this (and another similar) photo to come to light 15+ years ago. Then, I kept it in a drawer till contacting the Nixon Library just last week to post it here.

TG

Guest 39Super8

You know, I have no idea who holds copy write to the image you posted above (my guess is no one). I do know that this is a photo that way more than a handful of people know about. I guess one way to obtain it is the way you did, that?s fine. Who knows how the folks selling on eBay (I will save you the search look at item # 200089701977 ends in 4 days) obtained the images they have. I did not know you were the self appointed protector of the image, and promoter of the Nixon library. Sorry just informing you that the best kept secret isn?t such a secret. You posted the question, I responded in good faith, with best intentions.

You're right about this not being the best kept secret I thought it was. But we're talking about two different photos taken within seconds of each other. Go back to the top and compare the two pix, then compare the clarity of of the one available from the Nixon Library (which I have no afffiliation with, by the way) to the one offered on ebay.

They're all copies and they cost about the same amount of simoleons; the Library has an even better one with a 3/4 front full-view of the car, which is what the point of this thread is about. Cool pictures of Edsels, wherever they come from, made available to folks who might like to have 'em.

My own interest in Edsels goes back to when I was about 9 or 10 (forty years ago), and my late uncle's Citation coupe was laid up in grampa's shuttered Standard Oil gas station. Later it was put out in a field, now it's a parts mule, though still restorable, and at least under cover again. Maybe some day I'll be able to acquire the solid black with gray interior beauty.

TG

Attached photo taken circa 1977 with a junky camera.

post-43799-1431379279_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Hinckley

This is quite timely. I have started posting information about the presidents and their cars on my blog, route66chronicles.blogspot.com. I was just wondering about Nixon and what cars he was associated with.

• 3 years later...
Guest rsd9699

I have seen photos of "Dick" having a 1956 Oldsmobile with factory air that he drove himself around in the DC area. I wonder if someone had larger pictures that showed if the car was 88/S88/98 or even in color? Does someone have that car today?

Ron