Flush or Drain Tranny Fluid?

Scorpiodad

I used to be the service manager at a Dodge dealership and Iwould also question this procedure. I know dodge never had a recomendation for a flush at that low of miles but there could be reasoning behind it...... Buick may feel or have info that the atf may be somewhat scorched after the "break-in" period, or there could be evidence of shavings not being filtered out. Either way to keep everything safe and under warranty I would procede with their recomendations. If you have a problem with the tranny down the road while still under warranty and did not follow their recomendations they may deny any claims made for repairs. The best thing to do is find a warranty certified shop and talk to the mechanics, they should be up to date on service bullitins and will know if this is necessary, also get to know the service manager/warranty writer, in a time of need they can be your best freind or worst enemy, as there are many ways to write up warranty work to get the company to accept it. Hope this helps.

C

• 2 months later...

Flush it.

If you have owned the car since day one, a flush every 30,000 is fine.

If however the car has more than 30k on the clock I would recommend to a drain and fill only. On higher mileage transmissions, the flush will literally take out all the dirt and varnish that was holding the transmission together.