Replace Shock Absorbers

Thanks to all on this Forum who have given me advice on wheels, tires, fluid drive, carburetors, etc.

I bought 4 new replacement (gas-charged) shocks from Andy Bernbaum for my 1950 Dodge Coronet. Looking at what?s there now, and judging from the way the front end jounces, I?m pretty sure that I have the originals (car has 74K). How likely is it that these are the original shocks?

Any advice for me on changing the shocks? The last time I did it on a ?conventional? suspension car was 25 years ago on a 1978 Chevy Nova. I?m thinking I?ll put the front end on jack stands, take off the front tires, soak the nuts with PB blaster, and let sit overnight, then the old shocks should come off fairly easily. Then do the same on the rear. Any other suggestions?

Also, any opinions on spring spacers to correct height?

Appreciate any advice from the Forum

1950 Dodge

• 2 weeks later...
Guest msawdey

I think your 1950 shocks are already mounted from bottom A-frame to the chassis--I think the A-frame to A-frame mount ended with first series '49 cars. In any case, the shocks on these things are pretty easy to get off--the big nuts and studs rarely rust together, so your plan of some penetrating oil and persuasion will probably work pretty well. I don't know what brand of shocks Bernbaum sells, but my best experience over the years (at least among traditional American brands) has been with Monroes. By comparison, I have had a lot of Gabriels that died an early death or just didn't seem to do much.

Thanks to all who replied. I did the shocks last week-end, and got them off without incident. It took a lot of PB Blaster and, on the rears, some heat from a torch, but they came off. The old shocks were definitely the originals and completely useless.

What a difference in the ride. The car can now take corners at reasonable speeds without acting as if it will tip over.