My "Big Ol' Buick"

TG57Roadmaster

28755Teeny_Tiny_Buick_1-med.jpg

I tend to go in for really big cars (like Roadmasters), or really small ones (my Dauphine project car) but without a doubt, my baby is the <span style="font-style: italic">Roadmistress</span>, a Model 73 Riviera Sedan. She's still a work in progress, half original, half maintained. By maintained I mean new interior, re-chromed rear bumper, and the expected tires, hoses, belts, etc.

Driving a car that when introduced was Buick's Flagship (next up the GM food chain was Caddy's Series 62), I'm proud of its near-luxury position in the industry. Heck, they even touted it in their brochures. Then in March, 1957, the Roadmaster 75 debuted, stealing the 73's claim as the <span style="font-style: italic">"Master Worth in the Fine Car Field"</span>.

At some point you have, as have I, had to explain many times to neophytes that, yes, Buicks are big cars, but some Buicks are bigger than other Buicks. Typically, their eyes glaze over and they turn away muttering, "That guy's lost his <span style="font-style: italic">pocket protector</span>, Mommer'n'em's fi'ty-four <span style="font-style: italic">Spacial</span> was <span style="font-style: italic">huge</span> ."

Since acquiring this Dresden Blue & Dover White beauty, we've been all over the Eastern U.S. (on bias-ply tires) and she's logged thousands of miles and hundreds of photo ops. That's one reason I don't do caravanning too well, 'cause if there's a shot to be had, I turn around and take it. Experience taught me that it might not be there the next time I pass by. This is one of my all-time favorites that <span style="text-decoration: underline">had</span> to be taken; it's unaltered in any way, no PhotoShop, no nothin', just the way I saw it that sunny summer day. You can read the details in the Photo Galley Link above.

I think I'll get some business card pix of it, so the next time one of those tire-kicking conversations occurs,

I'll just reach into my pocket, hold out my hand, and say, <span style="font-weight: bold">"My car..."</span>

Happily humbled,

TG

435461-57BuickStonehenge2.jpg

Photo in attachment taken by John Norton, at AACA SE Division National Spring Meet, Roanoke, VA, 2005

post-43799-14313792091_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

Very nice shot...nice car too. I really like those nostalgic locales for photo ops too, although I have a very limited supply.

Guest ZondaC12

nice roadmaster!!!

i have a print out of the picture in my signature thats about the same size that i keep folded in my wallet to show people. greatest idea i ever thought of! VERY convenient.

Tom, thanks for the report and photo of your fine '57. Does your car have the roof rails that tri-sect the rear window, or was that the 73A?

It's a beautiful car. I'd love to see this one make the trek to Seattle in July. You've been encouraging to the guy with the '50 Special on the General forum. Is there any possibility you can also make the trip?

By the way, the title of your thread reminded me of the song "Big Ol' Dynaflow" by The Remains. You MUST hear this one if you have not already done so.

Thanks Brian,

Yeah, she has what I refer to as the "Tiara-Top" (for lack of a better term), which the 73A and 75 lacked. It makes all the difference in the world, but most folks don't realize that the backlight is one-piece of glass, and the chrome is "sandwiched" inside and out with rubber gaskets. It interchanges with all C-body Buick & Cadillac four door hardtops. That trim reminds me of the famous Domeliner Observation railroad cars.

The story goes that when the GM B-body cars came out, with true 3-piece rear windows, the wags decried, "Suddenly, it's 1949!", a dig at the rakish '57 Mopars whose slogan was, "Suddenly, it's 1960!"

Buick Management loved the '57's, most dealers hated 'em, and the public turned away in droves.

Odd thing though, her body data plate (Model 73; Body 57-4739X) codes her as a 73A, but I find it hard to believe someone would've changed her after she left the Atlanta Plant. It proves again that there were always little goofs (especially on Monday cars!) at the factories, and judges should be aware that there really is no "Gospel According To..."

For me, it was "love at first sight", and here's the way I found her in 1989, showing 102K miles on the odo. Can't make it to Seattle, but I know you'll have an awesome show!

post-43799-143137920913_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

TG -- you have really fine taste in cars! I have a '56 2-door Riviera (75 I think), unrestored. In fact, I've never even heard it run (yet).

I think I really wish I had a '57 instead of the '56 but either one is fine. I wanted this car since I was 9 so I might as well stick with it. Story there.

Beautiful car. As an item of interest, probably only to me, what I remember most about '56 through '58 Buicks is that the Sheriff's Department in Ector County, Texas where I lived then used them (not Roadmasters, of course) for patrol cars at a time when most police fleets had already gone to the smaller, lighter Fords, Chevys, etc. Does anyone recall the Ramblers that the Los Angeles PD used in the early 1960s? There was a time when, especially for special uses, all police departments had some Lincolns, Buicks, LaSalles (or some other fast, big marque) in their fleets. Same with Taxis.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...