Locked rear hubs on 54 new yorker

Started working on my dad's 54 New Yorker that has been sitting in garage for 15 years. All the hubs are locked (rust). I got the front hubs off to clean, but I don't know how to get the rear hubs off. They don't seem to come off the same as the fronts.

rookie

Guest imported_BaronvonR

You have to have a drum puller and a 5 pound hammer to get those off. There are places you can rent or purchase the puller.

BvR

The hubs are wedged on tight. It takes a heavy duty puller to get them off.

Take off the hub nut, turn it over and put it back on flush. This protects the threads and prevents the end of the shaft from mushrooming. Then put on your puller and wail away.

Of course you must know about the left hand thread wheel nuts on the left side of the car.

the hammer is the easy part. DO NOT FORGET to place the hub nut back on with some space for the drum to move once it breaks loose. without the nut these have been known to fly across rooms and can do considerable damage and/or personal injury. would love to see a picture of the homemade puller. i have the real tool and i have had trouble pulling drums, but with enough patience they come off.just when you think you can't hit it anymore, hit it one more time and it will pop.just be careful, if your puller isn't made strong you can get hurt. i have a 54 windsor convertible. these are good solid cars and they drive great. the 331 hemi is a good engine and the poweerflite is a simple but dependable trans. dennis