WTB parts for L-head project

ak

• 3 years later...

I think you might have better luck if you ask for specific items, in my experience people who have mercers don't seem to be forthcoming with what spare parts they have. It makes sense for us to hang on to what we have since there is a good chance that we will need any spare parts for our own cars at some point and dwindling sources for procurement. I have noticed (through historical references associated to my mercer) that as a whole the group is happy to help with finding parts, duplicating existing pieces, forwarding information and occasionally loaning out pieces to help get duplicates made.

I would be happy to help you find/ make what you need if you will just say specifically what it is you need. My mercer is in pieces right now so it would not be too much trouble to provide photos and measurement specs. I also have a good deal of fabrication experience and access to tremendous resources for producing replacement parts.

On the off chance you are in the market for something as imposing as a new aluminum crank case, please contact me. I have a good one for measurements, and would love to have a spare, but the price to have just one made is a bit prohibitive. If you or others would be willing to split the cost, it would be beneficial to all involved.

AK,

I assume you are refering to the water intake that goes atop the head. I have not taken a full inventory of the parts I have, but I do have a decent condition water manifold that a friend of mine who has been playing with aluminum casting for a few years might be able to duplicate at low cost. Fred Hoch told me that this a frequently needed part. Most of my parts are quite a distance from me but the next time i go I will check.

• 2 months later...

AK,

Sorry I didn't reply for so long, a matter of some comedy...My aluminum casting friend has fallen victim to the "scrappers". The owners of the property next to him cleared the trees off their lot which exposed his forge and scrap aluminum pile to public view. Before he could put up fences to hide the treasuretrove some crack-addict stole everything. :eek: Glad I didn't just send my part.