1939 Chrysler Hayes-bodied coupe

Guest shadowledge

Guest shadowledge

Seeking a 39 Chrysler Hayes coupe to photograph & measure to produce 1:43 handbult model. The manufacturer is the leader in this field and is licensed by DaimlerChrysler.

Greetings,

Hayes made about 1000 coupe bodies for Chrysler Corp. in 1939, divvied up in 6 series: Imperial 8 & New Yorker (125" WB), Royal 6 and Royal Windsor 6 (119" WB); DeSoto Custom (122.5" WB); Dodge Luxury Liner Deluxe (117" WB).

Here's a suggestion. Since the bodies are all the same, measure the Dodge body in the museum, and find a '39 Chrysler coupe for the front clip and rear fenders. The extra wheelbase length is from the cowl forward. As I recall, the trunklid has a distinctive ridge right down the middle and through the split backlight.

Also, I know I've seen a feature on the '39 Imperial 8 Club Coupe in the last 5-6 years, maybe in CARS & PARTS. It was a cream color and I remember coveting it for its extreme rarity.

Can't wait to see the model!

Tom Gibson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Guest crashagain
Seeking a 39 Chrysler Hayes coupe to photograph & measure to produce 1:43 handbult model. The manufacturer is the leader in this field and is licensed by DaimlerChrysler.

What measurements do you need?

I am restoring the interior of one at my shop and can measure what you need and send you photos of it too.

It is the 8Cyl car so the front clip is a bit longer then the 6cyl car.

• 6 years later...

I am privileged to own a 1939 Hayes Body Chrysler Royal Windsor coupe, in excellent condition, apparently all original (it has been painted and new interior).   I am interested in connecting with others who own a 1939 Hayes Body Chrysler, Dodge or DeSoto.   Possibly, as a group, we could exchange information, provide a clearing house for parts needed, experiences with restoring and maintaining, etc.  Or, if such a group exists, I would be interested in joining.   Also, if one does not exist, I would be interested in developing a listing of all 1939 Hayes coupes, their owners and location.   

I would like to be in touch with "shadowledge" who was looking for a car such as mine to photograph, measure, etc. in order to produce 1:43 scale models -- I would be pleased to help him if he still needs help.  Also, I would like to know whether such models are available for purchase.