gauge cluster

rybikowsk

Mike, My '47 is I expect similar. It is not an easy job because of the wiring. The gauges can be removed individually or in the case of the 47 in pairs. The gauge cluster is help by studs and nuts. They are attached with screws which can be a little hard to reach. I removed the front seat on my car to enable me to get under the dash to see what I was doing. A mirror might help also. Why do you want to do this?

Guest Randy Berger

Dave, that is a good question. We took out my friends 1950 dash to woodgrain it. I put a tag on every wire so I could reattach them properly. The old cloth insulation is in bad shape and I would recommend not disturbing it unless absolutely necessary.

Mike, I don't know how big or long your arms are but I have no big problem putting bulbs in the dash of my 47 and I'm not small. I can usually get the bulb holder into the hole by feel but a mirror and light may help to give you an idea what wires will be in the way etc. As mentioned the wiring in these old cars can be quite brittle and the sheathing eroded so be careful how you handle them. Good luck!