1963 Wildcat conv. 4-speed

Pete Phillips

Still plugging along on the '63 Wildcat conv. 4-speed. Here's the 425 engine, repainted in proper silver color (425-only color in the full-size cars) and almost ready to go back into the car. Have had a lot of trouble trying to get the 4-speed transmission and the U-joint to fit under the new floor pan/transmission tunnel. Granted, the replacement floor pan was from a 2-dr. hardtop with automatic transmission, but could there have been THAT much difference in floor pans? Got so frustrated, that I finally cut out the top of the transmission tunnel in the replacement floor pan, and will have to take it to a welding shop now to get greater clearance fabricated. Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Did you read post 107...? headscratch.gif

Ed, I respectfully disagree with you. I have the 1963 dealer service bulletin that announces the 425 engine in the mid-year 1963 Electras and Wildcats, and it clearly states that the 425 is supposed to be silver when the engine is optioned in those cars. Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Ed, I respectfully disagree with you. I have the 1963 dealer service bulletin that announces the 425 engine in the mid-year 1963 Electras and Wildcats, and it clearly states that the 425 is supposed to be silver when the engine is optioned in those cars. Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Hi Pete,

I've looked at a lot of 63 Electras and Wildcats over the years, and don't recall ever seeing one with the engine painted silver. That said, not many came with the 425 option.

Anyone on here have or had an original 63 with the 425 option and can validate engine color?

Guest wildcat465
That service bulletin also indicates red crinkle finish on the air cleaner for a 425 in a 63 Wildcat----once again, never seen it!

John

And, it would be the taller style used on the four barrel 401 cars, not the flatter Riviera air cleaner housing.

Pretty cool stuff right there.

Guest wildcat465

Check out the pictures on this one:

1963 Buick Wildcat

Looks pretty original, actually, a pretty groovy example. A/C, four door hardtop, 425 silver engine, red tall air cleaner housing.

I wish I could hook up with this one for a driver.

Check out the pictures on this one:

1963 Buick Wildcat

Looks pretty original, actually, a pretty groovy example. A/C, four door hardtop, 425 silver engine, red tall air cleaner housing.

I wish I could hook up with this one for a driver.

Why did you have to post that? It's only 25 miles from where I live!...leaving for South Bend...:mad:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After doing a major cleaning and reorganization of my garage last week, I found the clutch & brake pedal assembly for this car (hooray); got it installed Friday and spent the evening hooking up the engine, so we are only a few days away from engine start and being able to drive this beast once again, if all goes well. Man, it has been a long struggle. Still have to do a new top and interior upholstery, but it can be driven without that.

Lamar, I think the 4speed conv. that was on Craig's List in Montana is the one Neil Freman has in his huge salvage yard in Whitehall, Montana. Have seen photos of it--been out in the weather for years and years with no top, not running of course, needs everything. I think I'll pass!

Pete

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ed,

Been side-tracked by a huge move out of my rented garage of 22 years, to a new location, after the landlord doubled the rent (again). He made it so expensive that it was cheaper to buy a building, which is what I have done, but it has taken the last six weeks to move cars, supplies, and 22 years' accumulation of parts and projects. And I've been side-tracked this week by another project, which I will post in this forum shortly (3-speed stick shift Wildcat).

Pete Phillips

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Long story--putting my 4-speed Wildcat conv up for sale now--floor replacement was not done properly when body was taken off of the frame--wish I had known that before spending $10,000 on the finishing body work and the paint job; have over $30,000 in it; willing to sell for half that, and if I can't get close to that, will probably part it out. Factory 425, 4-speed, bucket seats, no console; new dual exhaust system, new tires, virtually all chrome has been replated, have not done anything with top or interior; has not run in about 10 years but has always been indoors; everything under the hood is correctly detailed; entire chassis was powder-coated black; something over 80,000 actual miles on the car and the original drive train; probably needs a new body to start over correctly; trunk lid and doors came from a desert parts car; car is complete; would like to get $15,000 or something close to that now, or will part out. Located in Leonard, Texas 75452. Having a bad day; bad week; bad month...this car was to be my creme-de-la-creme.

Pete Phillips

Oh boy, Pete, sorry to hear of your troubles. Maybe they will pass with time? I`d love to save it but it sounds like the needed repairs are not in my skill set. Could you provide a little more info re what is wrong with the floors/body?

Tom Mooney

When a new floor was welded in, apparently the body was not braced well enough. This causes the left front fender and driver's door to not align properly--not enough space between the two. Also, there is a transmission tunnel clearance issue between floor pan and top of the four-speed transmission.  It's a very rare car; one of six or one of 55, depending on whose figures you use. Started out, we think, as a Buick executive car in Flint, then went to second owner in Connecticut who drove it every day, which really rusted out the body. I bought a rust-free parts car and had new floors welded in, rust-free doors, rust-free front fenders, rust-free trunk lid.

I am done spending money and time on it.

Feeling your pain, Pete........

Some time ago I saw a 69 Mustang that looked great but had been put back together after repairing

a hard hit in the rear end.  The doors/fenders were all out of whack.

There was a telltale ripple in the roof and rear pillar that the owner just couldnt attend to.

It was literally bent in the middle.....

The shop that he took it to for evaluation sent the car to a specialty shop with a state of the art

chassis/body jig with huge computerized hydraulics in it.  After getting the factory dimensions

entered.......it ammazingly pulled the body back into alignment....wrinkles gone, doors fit,etc..

Just a little touch up paintwork afterwards.....

Yes, it was a unitized body, but,

Just wondering if one of those shops could reasonably work a little of that magic on the Wildcat for you as a last resort?

Just a thought.

Hang in there .......

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Pete,

Do you have any update on this situation?  I was wondering if you could salvage the original floorpan's transmission shifter area and have a new one fabricated? 

My grandfather bought a '63 Wildcat 4-door hardtop off the showroom floor.  It was a cool car.  Dad ordered a '63 LeSabre 2-door hardtop to replace his '57 Bel Air 2-door hardtop.  I drove the LeSabre in high school until Dad sold it.