Welcome Mercer Automobile Enthusiasts!

Peter Gariepy

Guest brockway

It's good to have a Mercer forum! Here's a few links I managed to find about the subject:

1913 Mercer 35J Raceabout: http://www.trombinoscar.com/veterans/mercer1301.html

1916 Mercer 22-72 Touring: http://www.trombinoscar.com/veterans/mercer1601.html

1917 Mercer 22-73 Runabout: http://www.trombinoscar.com/veterans/mercer1701.html

Wikipedia's Mercer page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_(car)

Internet Movie Car Database; Mercer page: http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Mercer.html

And here's an ad for one of the last Mercer's; a Series-6 Touring from 1923. Production was minimal by that time, only 153 cars were made.

mercer1923bxb7.jpg

• 11 months later...

Some of you may have heard about the Maine attorney generals suit against John J. Sanford of the Harmon, Jones and Sanford. I welcome their intervention and their oversight of this car museum which RCP and Penny worked so hard to establish.

Thank you to the Attorney General and all the investigators on this case. Thank you to the mechanics who voiced their concerns and outrage. I hope this legacy to the state of Maine can be preserved. RCP will race his Mercer in the courtroom and hiss Stanley steamers too. He is up there with two steam buddies, Maynard Leighton and Bob Barnes. A Mercer raceabout is on his headstone with yellow and black tires on the stone. May the Lord guide the prosecuting attorneys on this case.

• 2 years later...
Guest Silverghost

Looks like no real winner in this sadcase above~

Museum was forced to sell many great cars~

Lawyer walked away with a wheelbarrow full of cash and was never prosecuted for potential conflicts !

Google for case details~

• 1 month later...
Guest John Hancox

Hi Brockway,I was interested in your December 17th 2006 posting that stated Mercer only produced 153 Series Six Mercers.

I have a series Six Touring and have guessed for years at how many were produced.

Cheers,

John Hancox

It's good to have a Mercer forum! Here's a few links I managed to find about the subject:

1913 Mercer 35J Raceabout: 1913 Mercer 35J Racebout

1916 Mercer 22-72 Touring: 1916 Mercer 22-72 Touring

1917 Mercer 22-73 Runabout: 1917Mercer 22-73 Runabout

Wikipedia's Mercer page: Mercer (car) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Internet Movie Car Database; Mercer page: IMCDb.org: Mercer in movies and TV series

And here's an ad for one of the last Mercer's; a Series-6 Touring from 1923. Production was minimal by that time, only 153 cars were made.

mercer1923bxb7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest paul123

Hi Mercer Club Folks!

I was watching My Classic Cars last week and saw Jim Grundy's 1914 Mercer. I fell in love with the deep red color. Jim Grundy noted that the Mercer Club had the specific color down cold from the original. I am restoring a 1935 851 Auburn Boattail Speedster and want to use this exact color. Can anyone out there help me with the color code?

Thank you in advance!

Paul

Sacramento, CA

• 3 weeks later...

There will be an informal gathering of Mercer Associates this year at Hershey at Stan's spot in the Orange field OBN 14-17 5PM Thursday, rain date (heaven forbid!) 5PM Friday. It will be a chance for all the owners to catch up on the news of the past year, share stories and tips. Hope to see the marque historian there too.

Did anyone catch the 1922 Mercer on Fox's Buried Treasure on 9/14? I was privileged to look over this car several days before the taping and was present later during the actual taping. It was great to see it drive down the road! The car is located in Trenton NJ.

Larry

Did anyone catch the 1922 Mercer on Fox's Buried Treasure on 9/14? I was privileged to look over this car several days before the taping and was present later during the actual taping. It was great to see it drive down the road! The car is located in Trenton NJ.

Larry

There is a thread devoted to that car on the forum.

• 1 year later...

My grandfather, George F. Schulz- original seven who started SCCA, from Ma./N.H. saved lots of correspondences; Vincent Galloni, O.S. Hatton, D. Cameron Peck, Herbert Royston, P.E. de Rochemont, sales reciepts to; Les Taylor-Mercer car/parts circa 1949, John Duby- Sporting, mot. no. 52265, Raceabout, mot. no. 5628, 6/21/45. Others include- Ted Robertson- good friend, H.M. Burrows, Ed Sturgis, Sonny Garganigo, N.W. Long @ Heald Machine Co., Schoonmaker and Glass- Referencing a1925 Mercer 6 cyl. Raceabout for sale,1925. I believe he owned- as I sift through, a 1922 Raceabout 4 cylinder engine no. 6242, Raceabout eng. no.6272 makers no. 16870, Touring eng. no. 5086, makers no. 5221, Touring eng. no. 4918, makers no. 4968. I don't have any recocrds of other cars he may have owned. If any of this is familiar or of interest....?

I am looking for source material on the Mercer Automobile Company for a book I am writing and would appreciate info on that from readers of this forum. So far I have read over company sales documents and articles in the trade publication, The Automobile, as well as historical overviews published in car mags.

What I'm looking for is a book. Anything out there? Ideas? Known Mecer experts?

You can email me directly at rdsieber AT gmail DOT com, Spambots excluded.

Thanks in advance,

Ronald Sieber

Ron, and anyone else, A book was printed for the 2009 Mercer Centennial Reunion by the Roebling Museum in Roebling, NJ. This book has the most accurate information to date on the Mercer Automobile and was written without regard to the numerous fables and hearsay so many other publications have concerning the Mercer. Look for it at RoeblingMuseum.org or call the museum at 609-499-7200. Karl

Alan, The earliest I have is 1953 on a typewritten sheet from Herb. Do you have anything earlier? Thank you Brendan. Morris Burrows owned my car and apparently others too. Thanks for the info. So what cars did the 7 founding members of the SCCA own?

From the publication Sportswagen Vol. 1 no.1 Dickinson, Everett M. Boston. Duesenberg J double cowl Phaeton; Duby, John F. Quincy, Ma. Blackhawk double cowl Phaeton, Lancia Lambda 5th. series Roadster, Kissel Speedster, Mercer series 5 Sporting. Engborg, Arnold H. Concord Ma. Stutz DV 32 Sports Tourer. Robertson, Theodore F. Boston. Mercer series 4 Raceabout. Schulz, George F. Boston. Isotta Fraschini type 8A Castagna Convertible Coupe, McFarlan Roadster, Mercer Series 5 Raceabout, Mercer Series 5 Sporting. Townsend, Robert E. Boston. Mercer Series 5 Raceabout. Wallour, Chapin Boston. Rolls Royce Phantom 1 Ascot Phaeton. First two persons to join that first month were...Fisher, Charles P. Boston. Bentley 3 Litre Red Label Vanden Plas Sports Tourer, Duesenberg a Fleetwood Sports Phaeton, Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Holbrook Roadster. And McKittrick, Archie M. Hingham Ma. Stutz S Bearcat. Verbatim from old newspaper article-source unknown,..........

Original 7 SCCA Members Tabbed

All kinds of persons claim to have been among the original seven car buffs who met on Mt. Vernon St. Boston, on Saturday, 26 Feb., 1944 to found the Sports Club of America. Today the club boasts 19,000 members.

Theodore Robertson was the first president and the other six were: Everett M. Dickenson, John F. Duby, Arnold H. Enborg, George F. Schultz(sic), Robert E. Townsend and Chapin Wallour. Ted Robertson, in a story in Sports Car, the SCCA official publication, points out that at the time a Stutz Bearcat could be bought for $50.post-92322-14314182554_thumb.jpg

Karl:

Thanks for pointing out the reference that is available at the Roebling Museum. I'll get right on it. It's good to see some activity on this site.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I took some photos of Mercers at Pebble last year. Among them was Hoch's car, as well as Corky Coker's. I will post them when I figure out how to do that.

I received the book from the Roebling Museum and was pleased by its content and chronology. I am piecing together a picture from a few different sources, and this was very helpful. Thanks to Type35o for the tip.

In addition, it looks like the Roebling Museum and walking tour of area homes is a great excuse for a road trip! If you folks are holding a meeting of some sort, please post a schedule and I'll try to coincide. If not, perhaps we will meet up at the annual AACA fall meet in Hershey? I plan to go this year. I'll be looking for a project, as I have finished all current ones and will have garage space again soon.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]186135[/ATTACH]The best picture I have of a Mercer...in the factory still I think...Bren

Brendan, thanks very much for sharing. That is one of the most spectacular early shots of an L head raceabout I have ever seen. Wonderful details there such as the shocks, contrasting paint, hub caps, absent fuel shut-off, and front spring shackle grease cups. Seems very likely it is the factory, maybe a prototype?: rear tank caps have not been added, Rudge wheels stacked on racks.

Edited by ersatzS2 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DE MEY
My grandfather, George F. Schulz- original seven who started SCCA, from Ma./N.H. saved lots of correspondences; Vincent Galloni, O.S. Hatton, D. Cameron Peck, Herbert Royston, P.E. de Rochemont, sales reciepts to; Les Taylor-Mercer car/parts circa 1949, John Duby- Sporting, mot. no. 52265, Raceabout, mot. no. 5628, 6/21/45. Others include- Ted Robertson- good friend, H.M. Burrows, Ed Sturgis, Sonny Garganigo, N.W. Long @ Heald Machine Co., Schoonmaker and Glass- Referencing a1925 Mercer 6 cyl. Raceabout for sale,1925. I believe he owned- as I sift through, a 1922 Raceabout 4 cylinder engine no. 6242, Raceabout eng. no.6272 makers no. 16870, Touring eng. no. 5086, makers no. 5221, Touring eng. no. 4918, makers no. 4968. I don't have any recocrds of other cars he may have owned. If any of this is familiar or of interest....?

Dear Mercer enthousiast, living in Belgium,I recently found a 1919 Mercer racebout in Europe but with a french 4 cyl engine. Could you please help me tracking an original mercer engine for this car as this car is particularily rare in Europe.

• 4 months later...
Guest dougrider

I have 2 hubcaps and 1 running board tool box from my grandfather's 1923 mercer touring automobile. Also have original bill of sale. What is best way to establish value of these items and sell?

• 1 year later...
Guest johnnydelrey

I'm looking for some Mercer Automobiles in New Jersey. This is really random but I work at a place called Grounds For Sculpture in Hamilton. It is located on part of what used to be the New Jersey State Fairgrounds. They have an event called Day at the Fair where they celebrate the history of the fairgrounds. One of the buildings is the Motor Exhibit Building. I can only imagine the wonders of the modern age that were displayed in that building at the fair. I thought it would be cool if a couple or even a few people came out for the day to show off their cars, I would love to see some Mercers. The fact they were produced locally, I think it's perfect. The day of the event is April 19. I am not an official representative but I do work at Grounds For Sculpture, if anyone was to message me back here or at johnnydelrey@yahoo.com, I would put you in touch with someone who could give you more info. I don't think there would be anything in it for the car owners except a nice day out to show off your car. The Motor Exhibit Building and the Domestic Arts Building were erected in the 20's and are would be a great Art Deco backdrop for some 20 's, 30's or even newer cars. Anyone have an antique farm tractor? Anyway, let me know.

• 2 months later...

RE: brandanh's note on 31 Mar 2013;  I own the 1920 Sporting Chassis # 5304 with engine #5226 which also has the valve cover from engine #6242.  i was aware that a Mr. Duby owned the car around 1945.  I was wondering if it was originally owned by George Schulz (since new?).  Did Mr. Duby then sell the car (directly?) to Joe Faltin in Manchester NH as next owner?  Any leads appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 months later...