PLEASE decode my 1957 Dodge VIN number

Guest CJM

I need "expert" advice. All my sources that I have used in the past to decode 50's cars have now let me down. Even the the "bible"(American ID numbers 1950-59) offers no help. In fact Dodge is NOT listed in the index. Apparently my gold and white 1957 Dodge Coronet 4-door hardtop was built in CA then shipped to Hawaii. The condition of the car clearly supports that claim. However, I'm having trouble verifing anything as I can NOT find any reference that explains what my VIN number means. My 1957 Dodge VIN is: 35268827 Can anyone help? THANK YOU in advance!

-Chris

Guest imported_Bill-W

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need "expert" advice. All my sources that I have used in the past to decode 50's cars have now let me down. Even the the "bible"(American ID numbers 1950-59) offers no help. In fact Dodge is NOT listed in the index. Apparently my gold and white 1957 Dodge Coronet 4-door hardtop was built in CA then shipped to Hawaii. The condition of the car clearly supports that claim. However, I'm having trouble verifing anything as I can NOT find any reference that explains what my VIN number means. My 1957 Dodge VIN is: 35268827 Can anyone help? THANK YOU in advance!

-Chris </div></div>

Your 1957 Dodge serial number, 35268827, is for a Detroit-built 1957 Dodge Coronet V8, model D66. Detroit numbers ran from 35172001 to 35303713, while LA production ran from 42620001 to 42631610.

From 1946 through 1957, all Dodge cars built in Detroit had a serial number starting in "3" while all California cars (Los Angeles and San Leandro) started with "4".

And that is as far as you can "decode" the old serial numbers. They are just numbers, with the first 1957 Coronet V8 off the line given the number 35172001. Each car after that is given a number one higher than the previous, whith the last 1957 Dodge Coronet V8 built in Detroit given the number 35303713.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• 3 weeks later...

The Dodge seems to decode where first digit tells the build plant and second if it's six or V8, like he said that's it. Was 1958 before you got any more information from them.

Your Stude info -

7808233 = Los Angeles built President (starting was 7805001). Presidents came standard with a 259 V8.

6H = President

C5 = 2dr coupe body

The rest is just the body number.

All this info is probably in the Krause Standard Catalog of American Cars, I forget what years they cover but one is like 1945-1980 or so. I have the individual books for each make, most of the independents are in one book, all Chrysler in another, and so on.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 7879Magnumguy

I also own a 57 Coronet, 4 door sedan. Isn't there a way to decode what color combo and such? I guess I'm spoiled by my Magnums, you can pretty much know what each and every option and/or package that each car came with

• 11 years later...

The only way to find out about your VIN on 1950's Dodge cars is to write to Chrysler corporation, then you can maybe be lucky to get the information you want. By the way, the VIN-plate on the doorpost is only the production number of the vehicle, it will not give you much information. The plate on the top of the cowl on the right side will tell you about production date, trim, color, etc. I don't think you will find anything interesting on the VIN itself. I were told by Chrysler that you can possibly find the buildsheet under the drivers seat or in some cases on the back of the rear seat. But they said you would be very lucky if you did because it were usually removed before the car left the assembly line. 

I have a 1957 Dodge Texan Custom 2d HT Coupe. I have so far found nothing that can tell if this is a real Texan model. According to my knowledge, it was a Texas dealer who made a deal with Chrysler Corp. on putting on "Texan" badges on the  quarterpanels and the bootlid. So my Texan have "custom" on the fenders, "Texan ( with T in Texas on the Texas map " on quarters and a "Texas map" badge on the lid. It also have a "Texan" emblem on the glovebox. The 1958 wew different design. Were made in 1955-1959.

custom emblem.JPG

texan emblem.JPG

texan hanskerom emblem.JPG