Tapered Brake Drum Puller

Guest BigKev

Rick, do you think if I found a cheap one on Ebay that I would let all the other folks with bigger pockets know?

The ones just like it on e-bay are starting at $90 and I have seen them bid up to around $190. I was looking for a place that carried them so any of us could just order them at a reasonable price with out having to mortage the house. $65 is a reasonable price. The snap-on version of this tool, which looks almost identical (they dont make the beefier style one like Albert has anymore) cost $145. You can find that one here:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...re&tool=all

I hope this helps anybody out there that has a vehicle with tapered rear axels.

its still cheeper to buy one off the snap on dealer then than trying to get one off e-bay whe it goes nuts.. I had to go to the autowreakers this morning to get another alternator for my pontiac, as is croaked, so i grabbed two there for $20, and helped out another guy get a transfer case out of a jeep. At onr point i went back to the car to get another wrench and while walking back in the have a big pile of misc scrap, bikes, hot water tanks etc you name it, and i seen this long box about 4 feet and 4 in square on the ends, opened it up and found a cam shaft bearing puller set in it with the instructions for most engines from 1937 to 1953.. and includes Packard 6's and 8's that cost me another $5

i used that style on my first Packard to get the drums off, and they where tight, none of the wheels would even turn, i needed the puller even for the front, the shoes where stuck to the drums,

Guest imported_PackardV8

Again, do NOT depend on the screw thread of the puller alone to "pull" the drum. Put tension on the screw and strike the end of the big bolt with a 2 pound hammer. Repeat process until it comes loose of the taper. BE SURE that the brake shoes are backed off too.

PackardV8,

Thanks for the advice. I think mine have been off at one time when father owned the car. I can see the break lining through the hole on the drums and they look like they are in decent shape. I thought I get this puller to pull drums so I can paint them or shall I just paint them in place?