Electric / Vacuum Wipers - 51 Chrysler Corporation

DavidP

I found this very helpfull when I was struggling to get the origional vacuum wipers on my 54 Caddy working properly ...

Very simple discription with pictures and trouble shooting advise that seems to be similar to different early wiper systems ...

It helped me ... since very little information is available on early Cadillac wipers, other than if you have a problem ... send it to 'XXXXX' to have the motor rebuilt ...

In my particular case ... it was mainly adjusting the control linkage, cleaning and lubricating, and replacing a small piece of leather for the parking position on the motor ... a very easy fix ... working GREAT again ... :-)

http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/041/cover.htm

Thanks for the tip. My 1950 DeSoto has wonderful electric wipers, but my 1936 Chrysler has vacuum wipers. Fortunately, the wipers worked OK when I got into some big-time rain in Nebraska on the way back to California with the Chrysler, but I'd like to make them work as best they can, and I like what I see in quick look I've just taken at this article.

JON

Guest imported_billmeyer

I sent the vacuum motor for my '50 Dodge Wayfarer off to www.wiperman.com

They rebuilt the unit and it works and looks as good as new. Very reasonable, too.

You may want to check this web site. I recommend them.