Strange engine ID problem

I'm hoping someone can identify an unknown Chrysler built engine. Probably Canadian made.

I have a 1951 DeSoto club coupe. Flathead 6 cylinder. The engine appears to be the original type but the serial number says it isn't the engine that came in this car originally.

Engine number T307 14814C . This does not correspond to any Chyrsler, DeSoto, Dodge or Plymouth engine number I can find. I suspect it may be an industrial or marine block, or possibly out of a truck.

Can anyone ID this engine for me? What is the bore, stroke, displacement, horsepower?

Funny you should say that. I did a web search and found out Australian Dodge trucks used a T307 model engine in 1951 to 53. It was a Canadian made 218 cu in flathead six. This corresponds to what I have. Perhaps the C on the end refers to Canada, do the Australian ones have an A?

If so I now have a Canadian Plymouth engine in my DeSoto. A 218 where it should have a 236, and where the US made models had a 251.

Guest imported_Bill-W

The T-307 was the Canadian-built Dodge and Fargo ½-ton truck from 1951 to 1953. The American version was the T-306. The 218-cid engine was also used in 1940 to mid-1953 Canadian Plymouths and Dodges.

The "C" does, indeed, mean Canada. Chrysler Australia purchased engines from Chrysler in Detroit, Chrysler of Canada and Chrysler Great Britain into the 1960's. Thus no engines were built with an "A" prefix as there was no Australian engine plant.

Bill

Vancouver, BC