Identifying an Autolite Generator

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Hello to all,

I am trying to find some technical information on a particular type of generator.

It ia an Autolite model CCW 6001B 6volt shunt generator has a 40 amp (320 watt) output.

The part number is a little difficult to read and is possibly 1297873 or 1297973 or 1297373 and is labelled as Chrysler Corp Canada and is made in Canada. I have a suspicion that it came off a Dodge truck but this is not confirmed.

I also need to know what model voltage and current regulator is suitable for this generator.

Please email any information, data sheets etc to me in Australia at johnspinks@dodo.com.au

Thank you

John Spinks

John:

Don't worry too much about the part number or what vehicle the generator was originally on. Many of those part numbers only refer to amperage capabilities and mounting brackets. As long as you know it's a 40-amp shunt-wound generator, you'll be OK with any old six-volt Chrysler product you want to put it on.

From your e-mail address, it looks like you're in Australia. I have an American voltage regulator part number for you that an Australian auto parts store might be able to cross for you if they don't use the same numbering system. The American NAPA Auto Parts number is VR-25 in the Echlin brand. It's a voltage-current regulator with a cut-out relay. Chrysler used them only some variation from 1937 to 1955. Chrysler went 12-volt in 1956. Chrysler's six-volt cars were positive ground, and this regulator will work with either positive or negative-ground. You just have to flash and polarize the armature.

JON

Guest JohnArthurSpinks

Hi John,

Thank you for the response.

You are correct, I am in Australia, and will take your advice and see if I can locate a VR - 25 regulator.

Thanks again,

John Spinks

Aussie C9 Coupe