1973 D200 - ignition problems

MopaReds

Hi, I'm having an ignition problem with this truck. It has a 318 and 727. It gives all the symptoms of a bad ballast resistor, yet the resistor AND the coil are good (checked good and I changed them too). I removed and checked the distributor and the shaft seems to have no wobble and the air gap is 0.010. It starts and runs from cold for 10 - 15 minutes and then goes into the problem. I have heard that the early electronic ignitions either worked or didn't - no maybe or sometimes. If this is the case, what else in this fairly simple system would be heat sensitive?

I have seen many a balast resistor that worked cold, but opened after heated up. As far as the pick up coil, yeah your probably right, but in the opening post its kind of vague as to even the exact problem being experienced. Also 1973 had a ton of problems with the ignition switch to main harness connector being burnt causing the same problem. Respectfully speaking, I like to associate with the exact problem before giving advice.

• 3 weeks later...