Hemi Cam Problem?

Guest CharlesinMaine

Guest CharlesinMaine

1953 331 engine purrs with exception of one intake valve hydraulic lifter. When running and I push in non-operating lifter push rod that is 1" short of reaching rocker, there is still no recip motion. Must I assume a blown cam lobe? I would think I would have direct mechanical connection with lobe with pressure on push rod. I guess next will be to pull intake manifold and examine lifters. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Charles In Maine

If I`ve got this right you have a pushrod that is 1" short of the rocker arm ?

I would`nt be running the engine without further investigation, something missing somewhere & if so

its`probably in the sump, could be you have also bent a pushrod which begs the question as to why

313royal

Guest CharlesinMaine

Thanks for input, pulling intake manifold and valley cover to examine lifters etc.. is there any way to view cam lobe without pulling cam?

Thanks

Charles

Guest CharlesinMaine

Rusty:

Thanks for all of your guidance. The in op newer style hydraulic lifter was mission its spring clip and cap while allowing the push rod end to travel down to its inner plunger spring in addition to being stuck in the extended position and having 1/4" of its tappet body broken off by prior attempts to extract. I extracted the body with an easy out and penetrating oil.

Where can I buy these newer integral tappets?

Your help is much appreciated.

Charles